Jason Carlamere
Jason Carlamere,
Experience:  Technical Director at PNC Financial Services
91387029

My name is ***** ***** and I am trying to install Solidworks

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** and I am trying to install Solidworks 2015 on my home computer and I keep getting the error set_quitemodeactions error when I try to run setup.exe. I have Windows 7 x64 bit version. Do you know how to fix this?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am running installation and when it gets about 6% through installation I get an error coming up saying set up can not be completed because of "set_quitemodeactions"
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Computer Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Software
Expert:  Jason Carlamere replied 11 months ago.

Hello

The problem with the install was related to the registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\misiserver\WOW64. Set this to 0 rather then 1 and kick off the install again

Make a backup of your system and then run start/run/regedit to bring up the registry editor

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
In my registry under msiserver I don't have anything that says WOW64

Are you sure that you are attempting to install a 64 bit version of the software and not a 32 bit version. Please check this and let me know

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is a 64 bit version.

When you install SolidWorks the installation manager creates a log file in the following location C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\SOLIDWORKS\Installation Logs\installed_version - replace username with your username

Can you copy and paste the contents of your latest install attempt - look for the file with the latest timestamp

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have added the summary log to this message since it could not all fin in the box.

Hello - Thank you for uploading that. After reviewing the document, I am going to release this question so that another expert can help you. We will have someone who is more qualified at reading this log take a look. Someone will be right with you.

Take care

Hello again - While we wait for a new expert can you look into your registry and tell me if you have the following.

One possible resolution for a 1603 error when installing SolidWorks. Rename the following folders on the left tree in the registry (regedit.exe).

On machines with 64-bit Operation System

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VSTAHost
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VSTAHostConfig

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Rename those folders with what name?

Just rename to have a _hold (VSTAHost_hold) appended to the end and try the install one more time.

I was scouring the SolidWorks manuals and documentation looking for a solution for you and I came across that. Ensure that you backup your registry settings as well as create a restore point just in case but given the Wow6432Node location it should not have any side effects.

One more thing - I saw in the log that you uploaded that the SolidWorks engine was running at the time you initiated a install. Not sure how that happened given that your install failed but please ensure that you complete remove any existing install of SolidWorks if there is any on the machine. That way we can get a fresh look.

Let me know how you make out. I will be waiting for your response.

I also see this in your logs

SW MSG: SolidWorks serial number not found. Please enter a valid SolidWorks serial number." 00:15:34 Error Status 157 0 "CustomAction set_QuiteModeActions returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)" 00:15:34 Error Status 157 0 "Action ended 0:15:33: set_QuiteModeActions. Return value 3." 00:15:34 Error Status 157 0 "Action ended 0:15:33: INSTALL. Return value 3."

Sit tight - I'm gonna lookup these messages

Ok Sir/Madam, From what I can gather from research this error could be due to having previous installed version of SolidWorks or previous incomplete installs. - Have you had a previously installed version of the software either via a network or local install ? To alleviate the issue Rename or Remove the Wow6432node completely which will be created when you initiate your install. Again - Remember to make a backup of your registry prior to making any modifications.

hkey_local_machine/software/Wow6432node/SolidWorks

Also can you check the registry to see if - HKLM/SolidWorks/Security is there with a key named SerialNumber

Thank you for your patience on this issue - it appears that issue is fairly common but there is not a specifically outlined solution.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will take a look at these when I get the opportunity. Probably tomorrow evening and I will let you know how I make out.

Hello - Thank you for your time.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I renamed the Wow6432 folder WNode and restarted my computer and now I can't even log into my computer. Its on the Windows Professional screen but no box comes up for my password ***** the screen keeps blinking

Hello again - Thank you for trying and I apologize for the certain inconvenience - go ahead and start in safe mode or command line and restore the backup of the registry that I instructed you to create.

We are trying to solve a difficult problem through text and sometimes these types of problems will occur so thank goodness for exports.

Again - I apologize for any inconvenience and once you have restored your registry, I would like to try logging into your computer and solving the issue. JustAnswer provides a free service that will allow me to remotely login to your computer and assist you. Is this something that you would be interested in ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Never mind. I fixed that
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I read something about a windows update that causes problems so I uninstalled it
Expert:  Tim replied 11 months ago.

Good job, sorry no one had the exact answer right away, but perhaps we lead you in the right direction. Smart of you to have uninstalled updates, they can often time cause frustrating problems. Please do rate and close the question when you get a chance, or let me know if you need more help.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Solid works is still not yet installed so I am not ready to close out yet. Had to restore my computer and get rid of 6 viruses on my computer so I will try to reinstall solid works again tomorrow evening
Expert:  Tim replied 11 months ago.

Hi there, so you do not have a cell phone # ***** alternative email address set up inside your google account to recover your password, correct?

Expert:  Tim replied 11 months ago.

So sorry, i posted to the wrong question.

Ok - cleaning up the computer may have a positive effect - Please keep me posted.