IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

I would like to use an older windows program (American

Customer Question

I would like to use an older windows program (American Heritage Dictionary) on windows 10, but am told at setup that windows can't install it. Is there a way to install a dual platform capability on my deskop computer (Hp pavilion 500 series). On prior windows platforms XP and 7 there was a way to do this by selecting run compatabiliy on the properties tab.
Category: Software
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is*****

Running programs under compatibility with the previous Windows versions is available in Windows 10 as well. The procedure is the same - you need to right-click on the program icon and select Properties. Click on the Compatibility tab. Check the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" check-box. You will be able to select from Windows 95 to Windows 8.

In case that option is grayed out (unavailable), you need to click on the "Change settings for all users" button located at the bottom of the Compatibility tab, and then you will be able to select the desired Windows version. Click OK to save the changes and close the window.

After that, run the program as you would usually do. This time, it will start under compatibility. However, even though you enabled the compatibility, it doesn't always work for all programs.

Regards,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello again!

I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. If you do, let me know.

If you don't require further assistance, please take a moment to rate my assistance by clicking on the stars located in the upper right corner of the page.

Thanks,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 12 months ago.

Hello!

Let me know if you were able to receive my messages.