Gary Jensen
Gary Jensen,
Experience:  Functional Systems Administrator at Hill Air Force Base, OO-ALC/309SMXG
13452844

My "Windows Update" program stop working. When trying to

Customer Question

My "Windows Update" program stop working. When trying to open a windows pops up states:
Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer
Restart does nothing.
Troubleshooting states:
Troubleshooting was unable to automatically fix all of the issues found. You can find more details below:
Problems installing recent updates -----Not fixed
Service registration is missing or corrupt-----Fixed
Problems installing recent updates------Fixed
Plus other details.
Simple repair will be best. Thank you.
Category: Software
Expert:  Gary Jensen replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I'm sorry to hear you are having these problems: It's very frustrating when Windows programs don't work like they are supposed to. I have one thought right now to start out: Often, Windows update can give all sorts of weird errors when the computer date and time are not set correctly. Please check and verify that your PC has the correct date and time set up. If not, change those, and try windows update again. You may also consider rebooting after changing the date and time before running windows update. Try this and let me know if this fixes/ or does not fix the problem and we will continue!

Good Luck!

Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have read that fix and clock is correct. Bing clock Computer clock and phone clock in sync. Does DST matter?

I don't think so, but I would make sure it is set to Easter/Central/Mountain or Pacific Standard Time (which ever one you reside in). Daylight Standard Time just might make a difference.

Gary

Here is something else to try as well. I noticed the error stated the update service was not running. To check and fix do the following:

• Open up a "File Explorer" window.
  • Right-Click on This PC or Computer (depending on the Windows OS you are using) then choose Manage.
  • This will bring up the "Computer Management" window. In the left column, click on the expand sign next to Services and Applications, Click on Services
  • On the right-hand side of the window, you will see a bunch of services. Scroll down to the "Windows Update" service and double-click it.
  • Check to see if the Service Status is "running" If it isn't, Click on the Start button and verify that the service starts.
  • Check in the "Startup Type" line and if it isn't Automatic, click on the drop down and select Automatic.
  • Click on the OK button
  • Run Windows Update

This will most likely solve the problem. If it doesn't, go back in to services and verify that Windows Update service is still running.

Reboot the computer and try again.

Hope this helps. Please don't forget to rate my service if it does. Otherwise, let me know what happened and we will keep troubleshooting.

Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Automatic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I'm not sure what your answers are. If I were to guess, I would saythe windows update service was already set to automatic and it is running. I'll respond to the? ??????, but please help me understand what portion of my reply caused the confusion. Sorry about that.

Gary

This is Gary from JustAnswer. I was just checking to see if I can assist you further. Please let me know.

Thanks

Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gary, the question marks were there because I had answered (yes automatic at 10:52 )to your suggestion about checking to see if "Windows update" was set on automatic. No response from you by 12:40 so I sent the question marks and went to bed.
I'm not able to work on the problem just now. But you put on your thinking cap and send me another idea to try. Then later today we will continue our conversation. Talk to you later.

Ok, I will research this more. In the mean time, could you please tell me what operating system you are having this error on?

Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
7 Home Preminum
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
S

Thanks for responding. I am going to send a link to you which describes a procedure to fix the problem you are describing. If you feel comfortable doing it, go for it! If not, we could arrange to have me remote in and do it for you. There is an additional fee for that, however. Let me know what you would prefer and how it goes if you do it yourself. Here is the link:

http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/cannot-run-windows-update-on-a-windows-7-pc/#comment-98569

Gary

This is Gary from JustAnswer. I haven't heard back from you. Are you still in need of assistance or did the instructions I provided do the trick?

Thanks,

Gary