Chris Baxter
Chris Baxter, Programmer
Experience:  Java, iOS, VB.net, SQL, C+, C++, Obj C
68869132

I started with an application online. It offered a PDF

Customer Question

I started with an application online. It offered a PDF version or a DOC version. I selected the PDF. I have Acrobat so after downloading, it opened in Adobe. I was able to edit and add text easily. I need to export the PDF to Word and attach a second page to the document. The second page would be a word document with a photo and limited text. I can export the PDF document to Word but once converted, I cannot edit the text in Word and it does not allow me to add a second page to the converted document. (The conversion also comes through with text not appearing as it did in the PDF) I went back to the original created PDF and looked at the security and it does not show any security on the document. I also went back to the website and downloaded a test copy to see if I missed something pertaining to security. I could not see anything. Is it possible the original text I pulled off of the application is protected in some way? I need to be able to fill in the application, export to Word and be able to attach a second page. Help!
Category: Software
Expert:  Chris Baxter replied 1 year ago.

Is it possible to get the *.DOC version from your online application system? If so, this matter becomes one of appending two documents together in Word, which is easy drag and drop or copy and paste. In order to convert a PDF to editable text in Word, you may loose some formatting, (paragraph indents in the wrong location or missing completely, macros removed, and other odd conversion issues) in order to bypass that if you cannot get the DOC, is to use a third-party document converter or Adobes own PDF to Doc. You can find a link to the adobe product below:

https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/how-to/pdf-to-word-doc-converter.html

It is possible the security settings do not allow editing, in which case, simply "save as" and save the document onto your computer before opening it. (You may be opening the Internet temporary file if you hit "run" or "open" when the page began to download.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried downloading the doc version but filling in the text is not smooth. The lines disappear and text shifts. It does allow me to add the second page with the photo but it's really not smooth and the appearance of the application will change and that is not acceptable. I did use the Adobe PDF to doc conversion and it came through but would still not allow me to edit the document or move to a second page. I tried the save as option and it still would not allow me to edit or add another page.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Why-does-my-PDF-look-different-in-Word-1d1d2acc-afa0-46ef-891d-b76bcd83d9c8

PDF Reflow is the cause of the difference in PDF vs the Word, as above for information. (Also a list of types of text that wont convert properly just to be safe on that issue.)

So, in avoidance of that issue altogether, we can bypass that PDF security by going into Adobe, instead of "save as" this time, we are going to "print to file", to create a new document with the information you want in it. Just like normal printing, >>FILE>>PRINT. Instead of clicking OK or PRINT, you will want to change the Printer you are using to "Microsoft XPS Document Writer" and click print. Open the XPS file you just created, (not the original PDF) and again, file, "save as". This should make the PDF generated from the XPS file editable and able to accept the second page you wish to add, as well as allow you to enter the data and edit the PDF as necessary.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This did not work for me. The document saved as the XPS file had text missing and if it were in its entirety, could it be converted from a XPS file to word? That is the format I need it in. It is a grant application. It needs to be professional and exactly like the application - that is the issue.

So PDF is not going to be a final format for you, edit in PDF and convert to Word sounds like a best option, but if the document looses part of the text during conversion, then it is likely that there are macros and other form elements that are not being carried over, and unfortunately if that is the case there is no best fix short of manually printing the PDF, after editing, scanning it back into the system using a scanner (printer/scanner) and adding it to a blank new word document as a picture (jpeg, tiff etc.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok.. confirmation that I wasn't being a total loser about this. I'll try the scan and adding it to a word document. Thanks!

Let me know how it goes! :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It did not work. It was still locked. I will need to contact a person who did the last grant to find out what Adobe program they used. Thanks for your help.

Sorry I could not be of more assistance, if you like I can submit this for a refund for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I so appreciate your time and effort. Although, I'm doing this work as a volunteer so I would appreciate a refund even more. :) Thank you!!