Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

I have a couple of questions. I just installed my hard drive

Customer Question

I have a couple of questions. I just installed my hard drive on a different PC. I'm running Windows 10 - the version that I downloaded as a free upgrade to Windows 7. It's telling me I need to activate Windows but I don't recall receiving a Product Key. Is it asking for my Windows 7 Product Key? What do I need to do?
Also, I just installed a new audio board because I like it better that the PC's internal audio. Now it's telling me no output device is installed. I left clicked on the task bar icon which then attempted to troubleshoot the problem. Under "Problems found" is says "Hardware changes might no have been detected" "Fixed" But I'm still being told no audio device is installed. How do I fix this?
Category: Software
Expert:  burnstudios replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Windows 10 does not need a key to be activated, simply click your start button, then settings, click on update and security. and there you will see the activation button.. Just click on it, and windows will activate.

Now for your sound.
Right click on your start button, select control panel, and up top in the right hand corner select small icons. Now find your sound icon in the control panel.
Select playback devices, and set your new sound card as the default , do the same for recording.

Let me know how you make out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rick,

When I click on Activate it tells me I'm not activated because the product key doesn't work. It shows the last 4 digits of my product key that don't match any one I've ever seen. It then suggests that I go to the Store where I'm asked to buy the product.

As for the sound card, I followed your steps to the Sound window that tells me "No audio devices are installed." with no options.

OK.. you will have to contact Microsoft, and they will issue you a new key due to your hardware changes.
To do this, you should be able to open the Start menu, select All Apps, and launch the Contact Support app included with Windows 10. Navigate to the Services & apps > Windows > Setting up category, which includes activation issues. You can text-chat with a Microsoft support representative here or have a Microsoft representative call you on the phone.

As for your sound.. Did you install the drivers for your sound card once you installed it into your pc?

You may have to re-download windows 10 to a USB flash driver or DVD and do a fresh install. As Windows 10 thinks it's in a new computer.. Its tied to the CPU and Motherboard.. Essentially there is no product key for the free upgrade. But I am sure Microsoft will get going if you explain to them what you did.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I assumed that Windows would auto-detect the device and find the suitable drivers. I can probably find them online somewhere.

What sound card is it? Do you know the exact model #?