Tim
Tim, Sr. Engineer
Experience:  Sr. Systems and Network Engineer
75378780

I want to remove Vista and install XP on an older Toshiba

Customer Question

I want to remove Vista and install XP on an older Toshiba laptop which I purchased thinking I needed the motherboard as a spare part for another laptop exactly like it. The problem was a bad hard drive and not a bad motherboard hard disk controller. The second laptop,(recent purchase) has a lot of useful software that I would like to use, (Office 2010 and other useful software). How do I salvage the good software, remove Vista and install XP...I have a used set of XP disc and key.
Category: Software
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Hi there i'm Tim and will be helping you. You can try and copy the entire office folders to the other machine, and place a ashortcut on the desktop of the new install of XP. There is no way to go from Vista to XP and keep that software. The software should be moved to another disk and then brought back. I can explain more on the phone if you would like.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no phone calls...just step by step. thanks. I'll check in the morning.

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

1. locate software you want to keep

2. Move it to a separate safe area, like a USB harddrive.

3. Format the hardrive you are going to use with XP (i highly recommend getting an OS that is being supported currently like win 8 or 10.

4. Move entire contents of folders back to freshly formatted drive, place them in root of C:/

5. Right click each application thats moved and select make shortcut, place short cuts on your desktop.

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Let me know how this went.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What about the drivers? Everything I have read tells me various things about the drivers...Have you done this before?

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Yes many times, the drivers are on the Windows disks more often than not, if you need a specific driver, you can go after it once you are up and running at 99%. I've done this hundreds of times, seems scary and first but its not.