Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Install, Update, troubleshoot and remove all types of software
63493917

Windows 7 upgraded automatically last night - this morning

Customer Question

Windows 7 upgraded automatically last night - this morning computer just hangs at the screen which starts the user log in.
Category: Software
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com

okay, so when WIN10 upgrades, it TRIES to keep all the files, and programs and just work around them.

But to be honest, this is probably the WORST way to change an operating system.

I reccommend a FULL CLEAN install. Meaning all the data would HAVE to be backed up, on a DIFFERENT drive, or whatever.

Then wiping the drive, and doing a CLEAN install.

Because you are getting a HANG-UP on the boot sequence, and can not get into Windows, you will need to RE-install.

Either, you can CLEAN install WIn7, or WIn10.

NO matter which you choose, you MUST have the INSTALL files, and they MUST be on a DVD, or USB drive that you can boot from

This is what i reccommend.

HOwever, you COULD try to repair your windows. and for that you need the INSTALL files for Win10, and again they need to be on a DVD or a USB that you can boot from.

SO, pretty much no matter what you decide.....you MUST get the INSTALL files on a DVD or USB and boot from it.

Make Sense?

I can send you the WIn10 Install file.....if you would like?

Once you have it, you can put it on a USB drive, make it bootable, and then BOOT from the USB drive with the WIN10 file on it.

Once you boot from the USB drive, you could then attempt to repair the hard drive files.....its worth a shot.

If after that doesn't work, you would just have to CLEAN install, and erase/wipe the hard drive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Win 7 was doing a version upgrade when this prob occurred. Do think running an install/upgrade to win 10 might fix this? Btw I am not getting any error msg

Oh i gotchya.

Are you SURE it wasnt trying to upgrade to WIN10? I heard alot of people were getting the WIN10 upgrade, even when they didnt know it. ONly after examing the hard drive did they find out.

But, if you ARE still on WIN7, i woudl suggest you get the DISCS for WIN7, and boot from them, and try to repair the WIN7 system files on the hard drive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Guess I don't know if it was trying to upgrade to 10 to be frank - log just said critical update whatever that is. What do you think about just installing win 10 upgrade now?

Well, if you wanted to do a CLEAN install of WIN10, I would say go for it......you WILL lose ALL data on the hard drive though, so be prepared for that.

Also, in order to take advantage of the FREE WIN10 install....you do FIRST have to follow the UPGRADE path....THEN if it locks up the PC, you could do a CLEAN install. But you HAVE to follow the upgrade path, so that it will associate your WIN7 productkey, with the WIN10 product key.

Yup its super dumb, but thats how microsoft did it.

CAN you CLEAN install to WIN10, without doing the upgrade first....YES.....but you will have to pay for WIN10.

So, with your dilemna, i woudl NOT advise upgrading to WIN10, with your computer in this, non-working state. I mean, its kind of impossible until you FIX Windows7.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok got it. I've got a win 7 install disk - is that usable to proceed here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Btw I tried to do a restore - sys says a file is missing and can't proceed that route either

YES! That is precisely what you will need.

YOu can REinstall WIN7, or try to repair your current WIN7 sys files.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it...

Make sure you BOOT from the CD, and not from the hard drive.

Also, be careful if you are REinstalling WIN7, to NOT get into the dreaded boot loop.

After you boot from the CD the first time, and WIN7 starts to INSTALL, it will reboot, and want to boot from the hard drive. But if you still have it set to boot from the CD....it will start all over again. So, you have to be mindful of this.

After the initial WIn7 install begins....it transfers boot files to the hard drive, so you no longer need to boot from the CD.

So the sequence is as follows.

1- Boot from CD.

2- begin WIn7 install.

3- computer will want to reboot after initial WIn7 install has finished.

4- Make sure you are now booting from hard drive.

5- WIn7 will finish the install AFTER it boots from the hard drive, and will COPY the remainder of contents from the CD to the hard drive.

All that make sense?

If i was able to answer your question to your satisfaction, please take a moment to RATE my performance. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure whether this computer is running 32 or 64 bit win 7. I think it's 64 but want to be sure - anyway to tell from a command prompt?

you CHOOSE what to run.....the computer MUST be 64 bit capable, but that doesnt mean you HAVE to use 64 bit.

If you dont know......use 32 bit, as that is the default for ALL computers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I inserted the install disk - tried the repair route a few times - did not work. Just tried the install upgrade route hoping to not have to reinstall other pgms. I'm getting this msg: " the computer started using the Windows installation disc. Remove the installation disk and restart your computer so that Windows starts normally. Then insert the installation disc and restart the upgrade. Do not select custom-advanced to perform the upgrade. Custom installs a new copy of Windows and deletes your programs and settings.That won't work as Windows will not start correctly.Btw I checked and the last win upgrade was just a bunch of security stuff. I tried restore and it stops and displays a msg that it cannot access a file it needs - likely caused by antivirus s/w

Repairing the Windows System files, may not be possible. As it happens occasionally, that the sys files are beyond repairing.

REinstalling the OS might be the only option that will work.

Upon booting from the DISC, i suggest a CLEAN install, one which erases and REpartitions the hard drive.

WHY? It comes down to time spent.

you could spend time trying to fix something only to come to the conclusion its not fixable, and who knows how long that will be.

OR

REinstall OS, reinstall any hardware drivers, reinstall any programs, copy back over your data, and update windows and programs as needed.

This is a time saver.

I realize that REinstalling some programs/drivers are a PITA, however, if we ALWAYS keep our installation media locally, then we should always be in good shape.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
While I was screwing around trying to sort out how to get restore to run - Windows update ran again - 2am Friday AM and everything started working again.
Set up a new restore point and image - had a corrupt file on the C drive - ran chkdsk and fixed that and ran restore point and image set up again. All seems good. Oh and I turned auto updates off. Not sure what to think about all that.. What is your opinion regarding upgrading to win 10?

What is MY opinion on upgrading to Windows 10???

Well, first off....even as an IT professional....I still use WIndows 7. WHY? Because its stable, and just about every computer program out there is compatible with Win7, and its still being updated by Microsoft, and will be until 2017.

Now, when it comes to NEWLY released operating systems (specifically from Microsoft) I encourage the going public to NOT get the NEW OS until....

1- There is atleast one service pack that has been released.

2- That the new OS has been released atleast one year.

If you follow those 2 rules, then you should always be OKAY! and have a failry stable OS to work with.

Now, at this point in time.....neither of those 2 rules have been met, by Windows 10. There is NO service pack, and its not one year old yet.

So...would I get WIn10 right now.....HELL NO!

I would wait ATLEAST 1 year from the relase date. Simpel enough