Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

My Autocad 2010 just started crashing when I open it. I have

Customer Question

My Autocad 2010 just started crashing when I open it. I have tried to install a "Repair" using the CD but it will not allow me to do anything other than change the language, and says a Newer Version is installed already. Could this be related to the latest Windows 7 Security Update? I am trying to avoid uninstalling Autocad because the customisations need to be updated and that is a lot of work.
Category: Software
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you today.

When was the last time that your AutoCad worked? Is it few days ago? Have you tried to do a System Restore to roll back your system settings to the date when AutoCad was still working?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was a few days ago, and I have just re-loaded AutoCAD and it is now working, albeit with all my customisations gone....
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for writing back and I am glad that your AutoCAD is now working after the reinstall or reloading.

I believe the issue was caused by some system resource conflict. This resource conflict could have been triggered by any of the following:

1. Windows updates installation
  2. Installation of other programs that caused resource conflict with AutoCAD
  3. Installation of other programs that attempt to integrate to the AutoCAD installation

It is a good thing to know that the issue was fixed through reloading or reinstall. But if this happens again in the future, you can perform a System Restore to roll back the system state to a prior date when the problem did not happen yet. This can fix the issue without having to re-install your AutoCAD since doing a reinstall or reloading will wipe out all your customization which I believe you do not want to happen.

Here are the steps to perform a System Restore:

How to Run System Restore in Windows 7

1. Navigate to the Start => All Programs => Accessories => System Tools program group.
  2. Click on the System Restore program icon.
  3. Click Next => on the Restore system files and settings window.
  4. Choose the restore point that you want to use. You should use a restore point with a prior date when you still don't have the problem you are facing now. Use a restore point dated like few days ago or 1 week ago or two weeks ago.

Important: You need to check the Show more restore points checkbox to see more than the most recent restore points available in your system.

System Restore will only restore your system files and settings that was previously saved as a Restore Point. It will not affect your personal files.

Thank you for using our service. If you need assistance in the future, you can request me any time by posting a new question starting with "For Jess M" so that I can assist you immediately.

Best regards,
Jess