Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

How do I get a report google search links are NOT valid

Customer Question

How do I get a report for all google search links are NOT valid for a website? For example, I want to find all the invalid google links for the site dublindeck.com When I put this "site:dublindeck.com" in google search engine I get all the links that google
has. I want a report of these links that are NOT valid.
Category: Software
Expert:  Michael Norman replied 1 year ago.

You can't get that information. If a link isn't valid it typically won't appear in the search results because the web crawler that they use will not capture it. This is not always the case as some sites that were active are then deactivated before the web crawler updates. But you can't retrieve such report form Google. If you own the dublindeck.com URL the only reports you can retrieve are though the Google Webmaster Tools. This will provide you all of the analytics for your site for free.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you do site:dublindeck.com and click on the links in the results you will get "Internal Server Error" on most of the pages.I would believe there must be a tool to check the resulting goolgle URLS and check if they are valid?

The first one that came up was the URL www.dublindeck.com/directions this is an indicator that this was a valid URL in the past the last time Google indexed the site. Google does not update this on a daily basis, in fact it can take some time before old URLs no longer appear. There are no reports that you can pull on this other than what is offered with the Google Webmaster Tools. Once you sign up for the Webmaster tools you need to submit a site index as well. You also need to resubmit your URL to Google so that way it will prompt it to crawl your website again since URLs have changed. Doing so should get rid of the old invalid URLs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not own the domain property that google is asking for, so do you have an alternative solution.

The individual responsible for maintaining the website would be responsible for going onto the web server and removing the inactive pages and updating the search engine optimization (SEO) of the existing website.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There must a tool to do this. Please suggest/find one, if not, please open this to another expert.

There is no tool. I'll open this up to another expert. Good luck.