Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Install, Update, troubleshoot and remove all types of software
63493917

Question: This is a new question but to the previous

Customer Question

Question for Quiksilver070: This is a new question but a followup to the previous problem. The hard drive on the laptop was reported to me as bad by a shop. I had them put in a new hard drive and supplied the old operating system disks, but cannot locate the key to activate windows. I have used some sabrent cables to be able to read the failed drive on another unit. Where can I find the windows operating system key on the failed Hard drive....? It looks like I can read all the files and I can feel the drive vibration spinning....It seems to be that there was a driver failure somewhere as the tech had to search for the right driver to install the new hard drive as he arrived at the same point I did...that is being able to see either drive in the setup but not being able to select it...He apparently located the driver that allowed the new drive to accept the setup files...Now I am hoping I can retrieve the windows key from the "failed" drive....It must be in one of the system files somewhere...???
Category: Software
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 year ago.

Yeah the Product Key is located on the System page.

Control Panel>All control panel items>System

Bottom of System page is the Product ID.

Not sure WHERE in the file structure it is...so you may have to BOOT it.

That is ofcourse for Windows 7

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Windows XP......not windows 7.....

Well, that makes it different.

Manually locating the Windows XP product key from the registry is nearly impossible due to the fact that it's encrypted.

So you have to use a product key finder.

Ive used Belarc

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Ive always use it when I was BOOTED into XP, not sure if it will work otherwise.

If you cant retrieve it with the Belarc method, then you only have 2 choices left.

1- Call Microsoft and request a replacement product key. Which requires the original disc.

2-Purchase a product key.

Not much else can be done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

used Belarc before and will try again...I seem to recall it showed everything....will let you know

okay