Pete, Computer Expert
Experience:  CISCO certified computer and networking expert
30970729

This is a question Premiere Pro CC. I have a movie with HD

Customer Question

This is a question for Adobe Premiere Pro CC. I have a movie with HD and SD footage. I am trying to export this properly for a 16:9 TV. I have the footage in a 16:9 timeline so the HD footage fills the entire frame while playing and the SD footage has black bars on either side while playing. I am ok with this. However when I burn this to DVD and play it on my TV the HD footage has top and bottom bars, and the SD footage has both
Category: Software
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Basically I'm trying to make a video with numerous formats. HD ( 1080 and 720 ), SD, Super 8, iPhone, Digital Camera, VHS.I have it in a 16:9 size timeline. 1280x720. The HD is sized to fill the entire screen. As I want it to fill the entire screen when played on a widescreen/flatscreen TV as well. All other formats are sized to a 4:3 sizing within the 16:9 so they have black bars on either side. This is am OK with.I exported this H.264, HD 720p 29.97. and built the DVD in Adobe Encore. However when I play this all the the flat screen TVs I can find for testing the HD has top and bottom black bars, and the 4:3 sized footage has top, bottom, left and right.Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The problem with 'aspect ratio' that you are describing, might possibly be related to any one of these factors - and certainly you are stressing the limits of what the software and the TVs can actually do!:

- aspect ratios may be fixed (or only a certain number available) on the TVs you tested with... which might add more black spacer on the sides/top-bottom.

- the varied footage you used may have different pixel densities which are determining things, rather than just their own aspect ratio. The whole video would of course have a certain pixel density and/or a certain width-in-pixels by height-in-pixels. And the sections of variously sourced video clips, would have to be fitted into that somehow.

That might cause extra bars / spacers on a TV, if the largest footage (in terms of width-in-pixels by height-in-pixels) is a certain width and height, that the lesser-density footage cannot match... and thus force spacers around much or even all of the footage in consequence.

- seek in all settings, whether on the software you prepare with, or on the TV(s) you display with, there is a 'Letterbox' setting or option, that is being activated by some of the footage at least if not all of it. That might have to be disabled.

- I also advise, as a practical matter, testing whether just *one* of the types of video footage you want to include, when prepared as the total video was, turns out to have vertical spacer as well as horizontal black / spacer bars. This would allow you - by successively adding another type of footage, then seeing whether the result, finished again, produced superfluous black bars, to determine what footage is inducing it... or if the excess black bars appear from the first, you could determine this way, that settings or options rather than footage is producing the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but if my TV is playing in 16:9 and I exported/burnt my DVD in the same format (This time all just 16:9 HD Footage) why is it still giving me black bars on the top and bottom of the TV. In all the previews and tests in Adobe it reveals no black bars. I'm just unsure because if I watch HD channels from cable which are 16:9 they fill the screen, but the same type of footage burnt is not. Basically, I am looking for what settings to export 16:9 HD 1280x720 Footage to DVD to avoid letter boxing on wide screen TV.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

What are you playing the burnt DVD with? the settings for that DVD player may be introducing the bars.

Check on the TV also, by pressing MENU and scouting through the TV's own display and playback settings (for DVD video especially.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried several TVs and not just DVDs I've burnt but all others with similar stlyle footage. I've tried what you said its just not helpful unfortunately. Sorry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand my problem is sort of a little more complex than yes or no. Basically the previous "expert" just told me why I could be getting the results I was explaining and really little to none on how to change them.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Ok