Gary Jensen
Gary Jensen,
Experience:  Functional Systems Administrator at Hill Air Force Base, OO-ALC/309SMXG
13452844

On both my laptop and desktop I found unknown MBR Code with

Customer Question

on both my laptop and desktop I found unknown MBR Code with numbers before it also something that said man mount and hidden man mount..in researching on Google I find that it is malware and cannot be removed. Is this correct? They say even a disk wipe will not entirely remove it,
Category: Software
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also saved the particular notice of what it said:[MBR] 74fc5979ce502f732b9283f834bc390e
[BSP] 44c2aa3e2f62f3d590f84491cd013350 : Windows Vista/7/8|VT.Unknown MBR Code
Partition table:
0 - [MAN-MOUNT] EFI system partition | Offset (sectors): 2048 | Size: 500 MB
1 - [HIDDEN!][MAN-MOUNT] Basic data partition | Offset (sectors):(###) ###-####| Size: 40 MB
2 - [MAN-MOUNT] Microsoft reserved partition | Offset (sectors):(###) ###-####| Size: 128 MB
3 - [SYSTEM][MAN-MOUNT] Microsoft recovery partition | Offset (sectors):(###) ###-####| Size: 490 MB
4 - Basic data partition | Offset (sectors):(###) ###-####| Size: 463395 MB
5 - [SYSTEM][MAN-MOUNT] | Offset (sectors):###-##-####| Size: 450 MB
6 - [SYSTEM][MAN-MOUNT] Microsoft recovery partition | Offset (sectors):###-##-####| Size: 11935
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is what is on my laptop...what is on my desktop is different. It says MBR then numbers Then next line says {MBR} and different numbers then: Windows Vista/7/8 VT. Unknown MBR Code. Thats it.
Expert:  Gary Jensen replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, my name is ***** ***** I hope to be able to assist you today. Malware removal is often a tricky time-consuming process. There are specific malware removal assistance sites which have experts who are trained specifically for these types of questions: My understanding is that these sites are staffed by knowledgable volunteers. They give very specific instructions using tools that they will have you use. In my opinion they are very good. I am going to give you a couple of links:

https://malwaretips.com/threads/mbr-code-unknown.44471/

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/

Look over some of the threads in these sites. I think both sites allow you to sign up for free.

I don't get anything for referring you to these sites, but I believe this is the best help and advice I can give you at this time.

Please note that I am happy to continue working with you on this if you would prefer.

Thanks,

Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then what you are telling me is that there is a good probability that this is malware & I have cause for concern?

OK, let me ask you another question: You stated that you get these errors on both your laptop and your desktop: MBR usually means "Master Boot Record" which is a special partition at the beginning of your hard drive or other mass storage device. Does this error occur when you are plugging in a removable drive (i.e. same drive, but plugging in at different times in the laptop or the desktop), or is it occurring independently on each computer using different hard drives / storage media. I'm not ready to cry "Malware" just yet. I do think those sites are a great resource and wanted you to be aware of them.

Gary

Hi, this is Gary from JustAnswer. I am anxious to continue helping you. I know we are talking about two separate computers, but I am unsure whether the error you receive occur using the same storage device, or if they are two different drives. Please let me know so that I can further advise.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are 2 separate computers, 1 a desktop hard wired to the Modem/router the other a laptop, wifi. I ran a scan with Rogue Killer and it showed up on both computers, each with a different set of numbers. Ran a scan using GMER and it again showed up on both desktop & laptop computers. Have gone to the sites you recommended, and since I am a real novice, it was quite involved so I have done nothing else. Wish I knew what to do & how to do it.

Can you please attach the log files for the scans you ran? I would like to be able to see the messages in context in order to answer your question.

Thanks,

Gary

Also, I noticed you requested a phone call. I am going to send you the offer for the phone call. When you are ready, accept the request.