Russell H., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Proud to have been getting computer technicalities into working order since 1988.
13568747

NIC is blocking mac-shasta-wrs.symantec.com as a service at

Customer Question

NIC is blocking mac-shasta-wrs.symantec.com as a service at 143.127.102.43:80
Mapped to my IP address mapped to port 54???. Does it block itself or is this something that is getting in the way that Norton is not putting there??
Category: Software
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If Norton blocks an apparent Symantec address, that sounds serious. But there is some doubt possible, as to its really being a Symantec address.

Port 54 is sometimes attacked by the MuSka52 Trojan, and is an odd port for a legitimate service to be requesting, even if it were symantec requesting it - it is the XNS (Xerox Network Service) Clearinghouse port.

I advise you to disregard this port being blocked, unless Symantec complains about it. Symantec software should know what it is doing - and this (port 54) is not a legitimate port for it to be requesting, in any obvious way. To open that port would be to invite trouble in, and I do not advise it - unless your Symantec software is recommending it.