Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, IT Expert
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP. Software Integration and Deployment Expert
23511658

I have Frontier FIOS. Just recently, i've been having this

Customer Question

Customer: I have Frontier FIOS. Just recently, i've been having this issue where I start to download files and then all at once they stop. I can still stream, and browse, but the downloads all stop. It started in Opera, then I tried it in Firefox & Chrome with same results. Im running Windows 8 on an HP. I thought it might be my Actiontec Router, so I went out & bought a belkin ac1200 and set it up. didn't solve the issue
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Computer Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Its one of several issues actually. Its the one major one. I'm thinking that the actiontec router is bad and i need to call frontier still. because, its been giving me spotty dead zones in my house. although it communicated fine with my directv receiver. Since I hooked up the belkin, my directv receiver doesnt want to connect at all. Frustrating!
This may be a much bigger issue though
Since I bought the computer 2 years ago, Windows 8 has never let me upgrade to 8.1, and now because of that it won't let me install windows 10. In January of this year, my Windows Update quit working altogther. for no apparent reason. So, it could be why nothing seems to work now, and Im just completely at my wits end.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Software
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the main issue is internet connectivity.
1) I have Frontier FIOS the cable goes into my actiontec router, then I connected the belkin to that and my computer along with all my wireless devices connect through the the belkin. The actiontec used WEP, but the belkin uses WAP2---my computer along with my iphones, ipad, ipod, printer, have no issues connecting to through WAP2. My directv receiver won't connect.
2) Since January 2015, my Windows Update has tried to run, download, & install the required updates---it always fails when it restarts the computer and tries to install them before the logon screen comes up.
2b) Since I'm not current with Windows Update, Windows won't even try to let me install Windows 8.1, Windows Store & Windows 10.
2c) The only download that works from Windows is the Defender updates, thankfully!
3) Starting about August, when I would download movie files, music, programs, etc. After a few minutes in, everything would come to a full stop. I would get error messages like "Unknown Network Error" or "Network Connection has timed out" ---YET I would still be able to browse other sites! It only shuts down the downloads!
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello and Welcome. My name is Michael.

My first suggestion is to narrow down the issues by determining the the full capacity of your network and so far it looks like your router is not the best suited for multiple devices, plus you might have consistant dead spots throughout the house. In cases like this is always a trial on error where you might have to get a better router such as the NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit and try it for a few days at home and see the results....usually retail stores like BestBuy offer at least a 14 day return policy in items like that if you decide to go that route.

FIOS Frontier is one of the best internet services around so it should be sufficient even for business environments.....Trial on error is the key, try first with a better router and work it down from there.

Please let me know if there is anything else I could help you with.

Thank you.