Russell H., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Proud to have been getting computer technicalities into working order since 1988.
13568747

I installed Picasa and had access to all my own photos as

Customer Question

I installed Picasa and had access to all my own photos as well as my daughters' facebook pictures. Not sure why.... Then I spent many hours setting up folders to organize our photos (e.g. family trips, pictures of the family dog) and eliminating the junk. Then, yesterday, I tried to upload my wife's pics of our recent trip to Acadia from her iphone, which I couldn't do. When I signed on to Picasa again all my folders were gone and I no longer had access to any photos except one group strangely entitled "Screensaver." I've invested at least 30 hours in building the folders and attempted problem resolution. Can you help me? I've tried synching, unhiding, etc. All the basics described in the forums. Nothing.
Category: Software
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Depending upon exactly what you did when trying to add iPhone photos to the Picasa installation, you might have:

- removed indexing to all those photos, forcing a re-import of them (i.e. a starting-from-scratch)

- removed the photos themselves (and I hope not, and I really doubt it, unless you did a really reckless detail-disoriented un-careful job of it)

- or hopefully, you just de-selected the part of Picasa's indexing that selects and contains the photos of yours and your daughters'. In which case, try selecting the right drive (C: Hard Drive, probably), or if that's already selected, try selecting My Pictures on your computer (which probably is where all those photos are), or similar measures... while within Picasa.

As a last resort, you might be able to restore the Picasa to the way it was before the attempt at iPhone picture retrieving, if you know just when that attempt began. If that is so, use a System Restore to just before you began the attempt at iPhone picture retrieval.

For System Restore instructions see below:

System Restore can be done by the following:

Go to

Start - [All] Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore
and choose to Restore system to a previous [etc.], then from the calendar-like interface, choose the first restore point *before* the problem started, then do the restoring.

(Warning: it may help to first disconnect from the internet, then also disable - temporarily, i.e. turn Off - your anti-virus utility, since they can often interfere with the Restore operation completing successfully.... before doing a System Restore.)

The computer will grind away for a while, then restart automatically, then grind away some more, and hopefully will come up with a message that the Restore operation was fully successful.

And hopefully that will cure the problem.

(PS: Do not choose to do a System Restore if you have recently installed any Microsoft software of any considerable cost. Its installation may be reversed, and you may lose money that way. Let me know if you think that's the case, and I will advise you further as to what to do.)