CompDoc
CompDoc, Information Systems Specialist
Experience:  I have over 20 years computer experience.
39833143

I received the Windows 10 upgrade Dell Latitude E5420. After

Customer Question

I received the Windows 10 upgrade for my Dell Latitude E5420. After I installed the software, I suffered numerous 'freezes' and had to cold start my computer. Finally, after the last freeze, when I restarted the computer, it fails to reboot. I have tried all the advanced repair options and none work. I am stuck now, unable to use my computer, and fear I will have lost all access to my data. Can you help me recover?
Category: Software
Expert:  CompDoc replied 1 year ago.

If yu put your hard drive in another computer as a slave you should be able to get your data back. If you try reinstalling the operating system first you will surely lose the data. The first thing to do is get your data. Reinstalling the OS is not that hard. If you lose the data your stuck.

Expert:  CompDoc replied 1 year ago.

If you dont have another computer or dont know how you should find a local service. When putting the drive in another computer as a slave you can easily see the drive and its contents. It easy to move/copy off that data and reinstall the OS.

Expert:  CompDoc replied 1 year ago.

The more you "play" with the drive the bigger chance of a data loss.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. How do I hook the drive up as a slave to my other computer. My other computer is a MacBook Pro.
Expert:  CompDoc replied 1 year ago.

The original is windows?

Expert:  CompDoc replied 1 year ago.

If it is and your only other pc is a mac you will want to take to a shop to be sure you have no issues.

Expert:  CompDoc replied 1 year ago.

The idea is to mess with the original as little as possible to keep the original data.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help. I will give it a try and come back if i require more help.By the way, am I being charged $58 for this??Thanks
Expert:  CompDoc replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure what they actually charge. I dont see that much ; )

Expert:  CompDoc replied 1 year ago.

To be honest computer support is normally $60 a hour. One hour minimum.

Expert:  CompDoc replied 1 year ago.

I have upgraded many computer from 7/8 to 10 with a full windows 10 disk with no issue. BUT people doing the free update from 7/8 seems to be a disaster. My 2 cents.

Expert:  CompDoc replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in