Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Computers, Mobile devices and Networks
32989067

I just switched over to WINDOWS 10( a big mistake) I wanted

Customer Question

I just switched over to WINDOWS 10( a big mistake) I wanted to get to my files on the old system 'DOCUMENTS". I found the files under ADOBE. I tried to open those files and they wont open. So what do I do?
Category: Software
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you tell me please exactly what happens when you try to open your files?

What error are you receiving?

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not get an error message, I click on each file and nothing happens. They do not open. It just says NO ITEMS MATCH YOUR SEARCH.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

Can you do the following please

Press the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin)

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then tell me if they now open

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

Else let me know the results please