burnstudios
burnstudios, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Hello, here to help you with all of your computer needs.
510739

Recently tried to install WinZip 19.5. It will not open. A

Customer Question

Recently tried to install WinZip 19.5. It will not open. A Microsoft Windows message appears saying WinZip has stopped working. No error codes, just this message. I have uninstalled and reinstalled. No luck. Using Vista 32 bit.
Category: Software
Expert:  burnstudios replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be helping you tonight.

Do you get this message when you try to install? or when you try to run the program after it has been installed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It comes when I try to run the program after the install.

Right click on the program shortcut and run it as administrator

Also an alternative to winzip is 7zip.. Which is a free open source compression program. It works just like winzip.
http://www.7-zip.org/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same message.

Ok, right click again. And select it compatibility mode, and select windows XP service pack 3.

also where did you download winzip from?

Did you download it from here? http://www.winzip.com/win/en/index.htm

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a compatibility mode selection if I right click. Yes, I downloaded it from this site after paying for the subscription.

I'm sorry, right click on the short cut.. Then click properties. There you will see the compatibility mode.

There you will tick the compatibility tab, and you will see a drop down menu. Select Windows XP service pack 3.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mine goes to service pack 2.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still gives me the same message if I try to run it in that mode.

Have you tried restarting your machine?

If you can not get it to run, I would contact winzip directly

Technical questions
Please use the WinZip Question/Problem Form or
send an e-mail to *****@******.***

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep, tried multiple restarts. I just finished with Norton and we disabled the firewall, but the problem persists. I have Norton 360. I just noticed a bunch of Microsoft updates and will try that too. I cleaned everything up with CCleaner also. I'll let you know if the updates make a difference.

After some reading, make sure you have .net framework 3.5 installed.. It should be a windows update.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I looked in my folder and I have all the way up to 4. This is too weird.

I know you paid for a subscription. But try downloading and installing the free version. And see if it will load up.
http://www.winzip.com/win/en/downwz.html

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same issue. Crap.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ran a little experiment. I downloaded an older version of WinZip from work. They have 9.0 and stopped supporting it some time ago. Hey, I can't complain it was free. For some reason it popped up saying the trial was over. When I removed the old version the 15 dollar deal popped up. So, I took it. That's when the problems started. Does say compatible with Vista. I noticed that in the custom setup of the old version the selection for Explorer Shell Extension was not selected and thought that may be it. Nope, I deselected it on the new version and still no go. I wiped everything out and the old 9.0 version works. So, I did drop the support guys an email. Probably won't hear for a few business days. It must be something with the new upgraded version.

I hope you hear back from Winzip tech support.. Sorry I couldn't get you sorted out

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll let you know what happens. I did find an article about version 14 having the same issue. Says it was corrected for later versions.http://kb.winzip.com/kb/entry/297/

That is strange.. I downloaded the free version and it installed and worked with no problems.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I fired off another email to tech support at WinZip. I've given them two full business days. No response. I was reading on their site you need .NET framework 4.5. I checked and attempted to install it. A message came up saying I already had it. Too weird.

Ask them what services are needed to run winzip.. Maybe you have a dependent service shut off.