Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Install, Update, troubleshoot and remove all types of software
63493917

I do I install windows 98 on a windows 7 era computer?

Customer Question

Category: Software
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I install windows 98 on a windows 7 era computer?
Expert:  technicalcat replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service.

Due to driver and other limitations, this may be a difficult task.

Is your 5GB partition the very FIRST partition on the drive?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the loong delay. I created a primary partition on the hard Drive. I created a bootable flash Drive. I booted the computer with the flash drive and a Windows 98 install disc. I selected boot with CD rom support. Could not install windows 98 because provided drivers do not work with the DVD drive.
I copied all the windows file on the Win98 disc to the flash drive. I booted to the flash drive which came up as C:>. Typed Setup. Check disc came up and scanned both drives (C:-flash drive, and D: - hard disc) and there where no errors on Either drive. Clicked continue and the Windows 98 Set-up program came up and copied files to disc after which an error window came up saying I needed a computer with at least 16 MB of ram. The computer has 8 gig ram. Was the set up trying to install Windows 98 on the Flash Drive? If I were able to copy Windows 98 set up files on the hard drive, would Windows 98 install on that drive?

That appears to be a different problem than what was originally posted. Sorry, but I will need to opt your question out to other experts.

Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing just answer.

I think the best way to get Win 98 to run, would be to use an emulator. AKA....virtual machine.

Not sure if bootable USB was available when 98 came out. SO that may be why its not working. You may have to create the bootable CD instead.

Also a potential issue with the HDD, while you partitioned it....may be a culprit.

Your RAM is too much, but shouldn't be an issue. a 32 bit OS, can ONLY address 4GB of RAM. just FYI. Should NOT matter though.

I think you can solve this, by burning a CD, and booting and installing from that, INSTEAD of the USB drive.

Or you need to be sure you are installing the OS properly, on the right drive and partition so on, and so on.

But, I think a virtua machine would be the easiest, and it works just like the original....probably faster, as you can use more resources.