flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant
Experience:  Consultant 30 years in nyc computer industry working with PC and networks banks brokerage legal etc.
23372949

My question is regarding windows 10. I have been trying to

Customer Question

hello,
My question is regarding windows 10. I have been trying to get Cortana to play my music on command. However when I give her a command to play a song she either can't find any music or she brings up BING. I noticed that Groove Music can't find my music in the music folder either even though groove is pointed to that folder. It can however find songs if placed in One Drive but Cortana can not.
I have tried re-indexing the whole system, resetting internet explorer, un-installing and re-installing groove music and even sharing the music folder with myself to no avail.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ted Minko
Category: Software
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. They normally read the "details" part of the file rather than the direct name. Right click on a song in the folder and click properties. On the top click details. Fill this information out if it is blank. Then try Cortana and Groove. Depending on where you got the music this will already be filled out. I would test it with one song to make sure it works first. If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys - it is greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I have checked most of the songs details and all have the required info. Still neither groove not Cortana finds them. Groove finds them if placed in one drive but not Gotten a.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cortana
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

I apologize but I need to opt out and open this to all experts as I do not know of any other reason it would do this.

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.

It should find it in the music folder on the local drive.

however it only works on voice commands you cant type in the search box.

AND its not that great at voice recognition.

this seems to be a common problem with cortana which like every other new microsoft program is basically in beta test mode when its given to the public

one suggestion i found is that you have to say "PLAY xxxx" where xxxx is your song. like 10 times before it finally understands the PLAY part

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.

one last suggestion is if you upgraded rather than purchased the computer with win 10 on it than it might not be the correct music folder or it may not have a good index for it.

you can try emptying the standard win 10 music folder and re copying everything into it.

also make sure that the windows media player does a search and can find them all since that is pretty likey to be what it is looking at when it goes to play something

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am using a voice interface for Cortana. I have tried emptying the music folder and repopulating it and still neither cortana nor groove can find anything in that folder. Windows media player is no longer present on my system. It is my understanding that in win 10 it has been replaced by Groove Music which is the default player that For fans utilizes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cortana utilizes
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.

It seems to come down to the way the files are indexed. Cortana insists that they be indexed by content.

This post has a whole bunch of stuff on it and a few possible solutions

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_cortana/groove-music-and-cortana-playlist-issue/991bca82-5853-4ccb-8ca5-b767ddf72f99?page=2

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My pc is still in the process of reindexing. I had to manually go into the advanced section if the indexing optionions to set mp3's to be indexed by content as e well as properties. I had to do this even though the music folder was set to index by content under folder advanced attributes. And it seems even though the singer attributes were set to "A" and not "AI". I will update you on the situation when finished.
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.

OK let me know please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My PC is finally done indexing. Sorry it took so long it had to index over 400,000 items. Even after setting the indexing service to index all mp3 by content, neither groove music nor Cortana recognize any songs in my music folder.