Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, IT Expert
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP. Software Integration and Deployment Expert
23511658

Excel question. Not an expert here, so please be gentle with

Customer Question

Excel question. Not an expert here, so please be gentle with me.
On Sheet 1 I have expense data listed for the entire year, about 3000 expense items. Column E lists what the expense is for (example: insurance), and Column C is the amount of the expense. There may be 50 different line items on Sheet 1 for "insurance".
So I came up with this formula: =SUMIF($E$1:$E$3000,"*Insurance", C$1:C$3000) to sum all the "insurance" items on Sheet1.
What I'd like to do is have that formula on Sheet 2, not on Sheet 1. So that all the expense data is listed on Sheet 1, and Sheet 2 it will just have two columns: A for the expense name (insurance) and B for the formula, which is the sum of all "insurance" items on Sheet 1.
Man, I hope that makes some sense.
Can you tell me how to make that happen?
Category: Software
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

hello. I can help you with your question.

If you want to have the formula on a different sheet and still refer to the first sheet all you have to do is precede the cell cord that's by the sheet name and an!. Like sheet1!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I saw that online when I was researching it before I came here. I tired a ton of different combos adding sheet1! to my formula, and it wouldn't work. My assumption is that one sheet 2 I need to put the word "Insurance" in cell A1 and the formula in cell A2. My question was what is the correct formula? Can you edit my formula and add in the sheet1! wherever you're saying it goes: =SUMIF($E$1:$E$3000,"*Insurance", C$1:C$3000)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is full of typos. Let me try again:Hi, I saw that online when I was researching it before I came here. I tried a ton of different combos adding sheet1! to my formula, and it wouldn't work. My assumption is that on sheet 2 I need to put the word "Insurance" in cell A1, and the formula in cell A2. My question was what is the correct formula to do what I'm trying to do? Can you edit my formula and add in the sheet1! wherever you're saying it goes: =SUMIF($E$1:$E$3000,"*Insurance", C$1:C$3000)

=SUMIF(insurance!$E$1:$E$3000,"*Insurance", insurance!C$1:C$3000)

Have I answered your question or do you need additional information?

I would appreciate a moment of your time to rate my level of service, OK, GOOD, or EXCELLENT at your convenience.