Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, IT Expert
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP. Software Integration and Deployment Expert
23511658

Trying to install Windows on Macbook pro late 2011

Customer Question

Trying to install Windows on Macbook pro late 2011 10.10.3. Actually it was installed and worked well for a few weeks, but the program started to fail (AutoDesk Inventor), and I realized I had partitioned too little (50GB). So tried to redo the partition, wiping out the former, and now it gets stuck at the end of the partition process, and crashes to a command prompt, but it's frozen. I have after many hours of research and attempts found this page http://ole.michelsen.dk/blog/install-windows-8-with-boot-camp-on-osx-yosemite-with-usb-key.html that has actually worked up to the point that I'm working on the fix for Windows can only be installed GPT disks. Problem: I don't understand the instruction "2 . Use Disk Utility in OS X to create empty space of the size you want the Windows partition to be (don't create a partition)" I can't figure out what it means to "create space" Please help me finish this installation.

Category: Software
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Michael. I can help you with your question.

What they are asking you to do in this step is really to make sure there is enough space to create the partition later. There should be enough free space on the drive for the partition that you will want to install to. So, in this case, you would delete the 50gb partition to free up at least that 50GB. If you have another small partition that you can get rid of, then you can combine those two when you install. That will be when you create the volume.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay. After my request went to you, a host of problems cropped up, forcing me to wipe the disk and reinstall Yosemite. Along the way, BTW, I had the hardware tested, and everything passed.

So having done all that, I tried your suggestion, which if I understand it, was to just make sure that there was free space (which of course was plenty now with nothing but the OS on the computer), having deleted the partition. However, when I started installation of Windows again, it got to the same place and gave the same message.

When I say "free space" I mean unpartitioned spce.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That's how I understood you and what I tried.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just got a message asking for my rating. I replied last, so I am still waiting on a solution.

What is the exact message you get during the installation of windows?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Almost identical to the last one (this is a translation):

Installation of Windows in the given space (?) of the hard drive is impossible. Installing Windows must be done in a partition (?) formatted in NTFS. Installation of Windows in the given area of the hard drive is impossible. Unknown partition (?) type.

There are three of these divisions/partitions on Disk 0 - 1, 2, and 3. 1 has 200MB and is the only one that would allow me to format it, but I was reluctant to, as this is likely where the OS is.

Previously, when it had an actual partition, there were 4 areas, and none of them worked, though 4 was the presumed correct location.

The 200mb partition won't do you any good. Are either of the other two partitions unformatted? You will need an unformatted partition to format NTFS for Windows. What happened to partition 4? You should either have free space or a 4th partition. Unless two partitions were combined, in which case you would have no space for Windows.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Naturally I had tried all three.

1 is 100MB, so that one is out. What is on 2 and 3? You mentioned that 1 has the OS. What size is 3 and what is it used for? I don't have a way of knowing what is on your disk, that's why I'm asking. If I have enough information, I can be more specific. You also mention "when it had an actual partition, there were 4 areas". Can you explain what you mean by that?

First, you create the partition with BCA. Boot Camp Assistant creates the partition only if the drive is formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and doesn't already have a partition created by Boot Camp Assistant. Only after you do that will it appear as an available partition during Windwos installation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have no way of knowing. It's just that 3 show up in the Windows installation process if there is no partition, and 4 when BCA has made an additional partition. So there are obviously 3 by default, and BCA adds the fourth. I don't know why there are three, and I only guessed as to the contents of the one that presumably had the Mac OS.

So what I'm saying is that I have tried it with a new BCA created partition, and without. Either way, it says that no place on the disk can be used for installing Windows.

In any event, I have finally found a work-around on my own, so since we have not really gotten anywhere here, can you please request my deposit returned?

We have not gotten anywhere?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope.

Really? Well I've spent personal time of mine from a few days to provide you with information. If you have not gotten anywhere with the information I have given, it is through no fault of mine. I am extraordinarily well experienced with this sort of issue. Either I am not communicating to you effectively, or I'm not understanding your replies. I've been asking you for the partitions and free space on the hard drive, but what I've gotten back from you is unclear. One more time...

1. Assuming one internal drive

2. How many partitions are currently on it - what size and type are they?

3. How much FREE space is on it (unpartitioned).

4. Where exactly do you want to install Windows on this drive (what partition or free space)

Partitions start with 1, so please list the partitions, for example

1-200mb Fat32

2-80gb Journaled

3-100gb NTFS

100gb Unpartitioned

etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Your knowledge and experience are not in question. I consider that we could have gotten farther after this number of exchanges, but even if not, the status of the problem has not changed. Meanwhile, I found a work-around by using another computer, so I wish to close out this task.

OK. You may close out the question by clicking on the OK, Good, or Excellent rating icons. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I thought rating would finalize the charge. Am I misunderstanding?

The only way of which I am aware to close a question is with a positive rating. Are you saying that you do not wish for me to be compensated for the time I spent helping?

Have I answered your question, or do you need additional information?

I would appreciate a moment of your time to rate my level of service, OK, GOOD, or EXCELLENT. Thank you.