Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

Dropbox Question. I am trying to figure out the best way to

Customer Question

Dropbox Question.
Hey there. I am trying to figure out the best way to use Dropbox.
For my Day to Day work I have 5 major files I keep my stuff in for my various projects. Right now I keep these on my desktop as this is the easiest place for me to access them but I dont have them backed up in dropbox as this requires continually dragging them to Dropbox?
Is there a way to have my folder on my Desktop that also sync to Dropbox?
Or what is the best way for me to set everything up so whatever I add to my 5 main folders automatically gets backed up.
Category: Software
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

Before I can answer your question with details, please tell me what is your Operating System. Are you using Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10 or a Mac?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mac!

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information. Since you are using the DropBox software / app in your Mac, then you need to check and know the location of your DropBox folder.

Please open your Finder and in the left panel, under Favorites, you shall see your DropBox folder there. Open that folder, and everything you have in it is being synced to your DropBox account in the cloud.

So your best option in solving your problem with your folders in your desktop is to actually MOVE (copy and paste) them to your DropBox folder. Once you moved them there, Dropbox will then upload them to your account in the cloud. When you need to open those files for editing, just open your Dropbox folder again, locate and open the files for editing. After editing, save your changes and Dropbox will again sync the changed files to your dropbox account.

I hope that helped.
Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jess - thank you for your reply!

Is it possible to put a dropbox folder on my desktop that syncs to the larger one?

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for writing back with that information. Are you referring to a shortcut folder? I believe you can do that. All you need to do is first open your DropBox folder and locate the folder which you want to have a shortcut in your desktop.

When you found your folder, there you can drag it outside to your desktop screen with the right mouse button and create the shortcut there. With that shortcut you can just double click on it and it will open the actual folder inside your DropBox.

Only a shortcut will work in your case since you can only have one default DropBox folder in your Mac.

I hope that helped. If you have further questions please let me know. Also, if you want I can remotely access your Mac so that I can do the procedures I described here.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Jess

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

If the procedures I gave you above did not work for you, then you can do these steps. The goal here is to create a "shortcut" of a folder INSIDE your DropBox folder and place the shortcut in your Desktop. In this way, you can double click on the shortcut folder in the desktop and you shall see all contents in the original location. In Mac, a shortcut is call an "Alias" so here are the steps that you can try:

1. Open your DropBox folder
  2. Locate the folder that you want to place a shortcut in your desktop
  3. When found, right click on that folder, then click on "Make Alias"
  4. An alias item will then show up there, while is named like the original folder but there is a small arrow icon indicating that it is pointing to some resource
  5. Now, MOVE that alias item in your Desktop

I hope that helped.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess