flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant
Experience:  Consultant 30 years in nyc computer industry working with PC and networks banks brokerage legal etc.
23372949

I'm using Photoshop Elements 12. Today, it suddenly stopped

Customer Question

Hi, I'm using Photoshop Elements 12. Today, it suddenly stopped working properly. I keep my photos in "Pictures." When I try to open a new folder, either by using the "Open" button or by "File>Open...", I get the last file folder I used. When I click on the drop-down "Look in" bar, I get a menu as usual. However, this menu disappears literally within a second. I do not have enough time to move the cursor down the menu. Thus, I cannot load photos from any other folder into Elements. I tried closing and reopening the program, but it didn't help. Can you help me?
Category: Software
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.

If it worked a few days ago try doing a system restore to a time when it was working

System restore instructions - windows 7 8 10

hold the windows logo key and hit R
in the box that appears type

rstrui.exe

hit enter

select restore to an earlier date.

Under the "suggested restore" which is usually not old enough to help is a link for "OTHER RESTORE POINTS"
click that if the suggested ones are not BEFORE THE PROBLEM STARTED

choose a date from the calendar that is BEFORE you experienced the problem

hit ok / restore

the computer will start to shut down

a restoring settings box will appear with a status bar

when it finishes your computer will restart with the same settings it had on the date you restored to. your data will not be affected.

It is not perfect. But it fixes a lot of things.