Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  12 years in operations at a large law firm supporting both retail and specialty applications.
13274453

Dell Inspiron 17 laptop Windows 7 Pro fails to boot after

Customer Question

Dell Inspiron 17 laptop Windows 7 Pro fails to boot after last night's Windows updates. Startup repair fails with unknown error, system restore fails, safe mode fails. When normal boot, Windows splash shows for about 1 second, then computer reboots. Suggestions? I can get to a command prompt. Thanks!
Category: Software
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FYI... dentist appt this morning here, so I won't be back until guessing 1 PM Eastern Thanks!
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. By "command prompt" are you referring to Safe Mode with Command Prompt? If so, have you tried starting System Restore from the command prompt? At the blinking prompt type: rstrui.exe press Enter and try to run it that way.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That didn't work... it gives an "unable to access a file" message and mentions antivirus might need to be turned off. Of course, nothing is running. Thank you for your help!
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. Are you running Norton on your laptop?

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

At the command prompt type: sfc /scannow and press Enter.

The system file checker utility will try to replace missing or damaged files.

I'm not sure this will make a difference but if it can't access a file because it's not where it should be this may help.

You wouldn't happen to have a Win 7 pro install disk to run repairs from would you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The sfc fails after a few seconds with "There is a system repair pending which requires a reboot to complete. Restart WIndows abd run SFC again." I made sure no repair is pending with multiple reboots. I am using F8 repair your computer to get to the "Sysytem Recovery Options" menu, the command prompt off of that. Also results of "Startup Repair Offline" are 1) 6.1.7600.16385 2) 6.1.7600.16385 3) unknown 4) 21199072 5) Autofailover 6) 10 7) NoRootCause
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I have a Win 7 Pro DVD, but it will not match this PC virus brand unknown (coworker's)
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

If you've got a Win 7 Pro DVD it will work to try repairs. Tap F12 at the Dell screen at startup to launch the startup menu and select DVD.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/681-startup-repair.html

If you can't fix it from the disk you may need to do an image recovery.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Repair from DVD took longer, but same result. Windows will not start.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

In this situation I can't remote in and perform these steps

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fix-windows-7-infinite-reboot-loop/

Scroll down to: ***** ***** 7 Recovery

The normal Windows tools aren't getting the job done and short of a complete factory recovery

this is the next-to-last option.