Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Computers, Mobile devices and Networks
32989067

I installed Windows 10 and all my files have become "read

Customer Question

I installed Windows 10 and all my files have become "read only" and I cannot save new files as I "do not have permission" although I am the administrator. What do I need to do to restore my files?
Category: Software
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you do the following please

Press the windows key + X and click on Command Prompt (Admin)

A black window will open

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

then check and tell me please if you still have the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello. After I entered chkdsk/r I got the message" Access denied. You do not have sufficient privileges. You have to invoke utility running in elevated mode."
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, you clicked Command Prompt, you need to click Command Prompt (Admin) as per my instructions please

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard--I followed your instructions and the files are still "read only."
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

that was very quick, it would normally not go that quick.

You ran both commands, what did you see when you restarted the computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I followed your instructions, then restarted the computer. There were several updates being made, the computer turned off and restarted normally. But when I went to the file explorer, opened a file and tried to save it, the signal was "read only." I'm afraid I have to sign off now, but perhaps we can continue in 2-3 hours.Daniel
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, but it did not run a file scan on restart?

What did it say when you entered

chkdsk /r

AS I notice now you have it wrong in your message to me....