Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, IT Expert
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP. Software Integration and Deployment Expert
23511658

Need basic help Photoshop Element 13. Just want to know how

Customer Question

Need basic help for Adobe Photoshop Element 13. Just want to know how to make a circle around a item on a photo including changing the color and the thickness of the circle. The circle is to be hollow.
Category: Software
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer, My name is ***** ***** i wil be assisting you today

This is an adobe video tutorial that will show you step by step how to do this : http://tv.adobe.com/watch/the-complete-picture-with-julieanne-kost/quick-tip-how-to-draw-a-circle-around-an-object-in-photoshop/

For other tutorials please click : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thiN8zuPH9k&list=PLzj7TwUeMQ3ibWk1tZreQIGIF-FwKrnrx

let me know if you need further help

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I already saw that video and it did not help. I need web conferencing someone walking me through step by step. If you can't do this please bow out and release me. Thanks

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.

Please Would you like me to set up a remote session, which will allow me to connect directly to your screen and assist you quickly with this issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.

what is your operating system windows or mac?

thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

windows

By the way I will be writing down the process so please go slow. Thanks

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.

please download Teamviewer from : www.teamviewer.com once you download it please run it. It will give you an ID and a password. Please tell me the ID and the password ***** I can connect to your desktop and fix the problem remotely.

note : do not close teamviewer

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

803 961 312

1251

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.

connected now

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.

Please let me open your question to other experts. please do not rate my answer, this way another can take over

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you but please remove that it was answered. It was not answered. Thank you

I do NOT need help with basic paint whomever the next expert is but Adobe Photoshop Element 13

Expert:  technicalcat replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service.

What specific problem are you having in editing a photo or "making a circle"?

Was the previous expert unable to fix over remote, or was he not able to connect to you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

he had no idea what he was doing.

All I want to do is learn how to draw a hollow circle that's it. Change the color of circle and thicken it.

If you don't know this program please release me. The previous guy just wasted my time.

OK, what I am asking though is specifically what happens when you follow the steps as previously given in the video. In photoshop....

Are you getting a solid circle, instead of a hollow circle? Are you getting an error? what exactly happens?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Getting a solid circle is easy. I have spent 2 hours trying to make it hollow. I need someone that knows the program that simple.

Release me please. Thank you

The method varies a bit based on the version of photoshop (elements) you are using.

For the version I use (CS6) , this method works well for me. I'm pretty sure your elements version will be the same or similar to the method used in this video. So, check this out, and see if you can now make it work. If not, try to tell me exactly where the problem is. I would offer remote, but with photoshop, the remote tool can be problematic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCYGV_01wkQ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is not the program I have. Not sure if you saw this but my program does not work at all like that.

Your elements 13 should be similar to CS6, but since elements is a limited version of Photoshop, some things may be disabled or moved around.

I went ahead and found a method that is documented to work WITH elements, so please follow these basic steps and instructions. This is documented by others to work with elements to make the hollow shapes.

1) You are going to use the marquee select tool (the ellipse/circle one)

2) After you make the circle you want, you are going to use the stroke technique which is documented in the link below to "stroke" the selection and create your hollow circle.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/using/fills-strokes.html

If you are still having trouble, make sure to tell me exactly where in this process you are stuck. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the stroke is greyed out how do I get it activated

Are you using the MARQUEE tool? That's the one with the broken/dashed lines when you draw the shape. If so, are you sure the selection you just made is active?

Also, on a side note, are you very determined to make these sorts of simple edits with photoshop? I'm asking because there are freely available image editing tools that are MUCH easier to use for this sort of thing, than is photoshop. One of them is paint.net. Photoshop is great for advanced photo editing, but not necessary for the simple stuff.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok if you can tell me how to draw a hollow circle and I can change the color and the thickness I am in.

OK so you want to try using paint.net? Great.

1) Go to http://www.dotpdn.com/files/paint.net.4.0.6.install.zip then download/save. Unzip, and install paint.net

2) Open up your image in paint.net

3) Pick the shapes tool

4) Really the rest is easy/self explanatory. You select the circle shape, and right next to it you can select to draw "shape with outline".

I use this all the time for stuff like this, and it's so fast I just brought it up to check for you right now. This should get you on your way! Let me know if you have any trouble. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is getting frustrating. I found eclipse then it circles over picture. I tried the outline button but nothing. At this point lets do remote or I give up.

are you saying you can't even draw the outline with paint.net? if so, you need to select:

DRAW SHAPE OUTLINE. This will icon that looks like two hollow shapes (a circle and a square) with no fill.

Trust me, this is very easy. I'm sure you can get it :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I makes it a square not a circle. I am not doing this again. Either show me or don't respond. I wasted all night with this.

Sorry, but I need to opt this question out to other experts. Please don't reply or rate until another expert steps in to help, as that will only delay response time. Thank You.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not a problem. I just don't understand why you could spend an hour trying to explain things and not take 5 minutes to show someone how to do it. It makes zero sense but that is your business.

Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

I can do a remote session with you if you still need assistance.

Just accept the offer and I will give you instructions to join the session.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I wasted all night and not wasting any more time. I am no longer interested please close this question out. Thanks

I apologize, but I was only offering the remote assistance for which you asked. If you decide that you do want the assistance you may accept the offer. If not, you do not have to accept.