Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Computers, Mobile devices and Networks
32989067

I am using a trial version of Adobe Acrobat Pro DC. I am

Customer Question

I am using a trial version of Adobe Acrobat Pro DC. I am trying to determine if I want to purchased the software
I will have a continuing need to
1. Create a PDF document
2. At certain places within the document I will need to "attach" an external PDF file.
3. I want the end user to be able to 1) click on my reference point within the primary document; 2) open the linked attached file; 3) read it; and 4) then return to the primary document.
4. I then need to be able to "zip" up both primary and attached files into one single file and send off to others.
I can see several components of this, but I have not been able to find any single source reference document to help me do what I need to do.
Help please
Category: Software
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

You could just do all of this within Microsoft Word and then save the word file as a PDF file...

Then you would not need to purchase Acrobat Pro.

Do you already have Word?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The documents are all PDF to begin with. These are business documents. Yes, I have word, but that is not the solution I need.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For our accrediation board, I am required to use Acrobat Pro with Bookmarking, etc.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I was just looking to save you money.

Then to work with and edit the documents, you would need Adobe Acrobat Pro DC. The only step not covered is Step 4. This it will not do (the Zipping of the file).

You would do this within Windows itself by right clicking it (and any additional documents) then selecting Send To -> Compressed (Zipped) file which will Zip them into 1 file which you can then send of to a recipient

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I understand about windows zipping.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Is there anything else you would need information on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not been successful with the other steps. My preference is to attach the external files and then create a link within my primary document to the attachment. The directions provided with Adobe help is not helping me with this.Are you able to help me with the steps or not?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

You would insert a link to the file for this

• Choose Tools > Edit PDF > Link > Add or Edit

Then choose to Open File and select the File

But this wont work if your sending it to other people, as its going to lose the path to the file.

In this instance, then only option is to either Host the file online eg: Via your website and then select Open A Web Page and set the address of the hosted PDF as then its always the same path

Or insert the actual PDF's Content into this PDF which makes it all one document.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How about the attachment option. I know who to "attach" an external file, but I do not know how to reference that external file within the primary document (so that the end user may "link and open")I understand the constraints of linking to an external file. By attaching, the secondary file is attached to the primary document . I just need to know how to create a hyperlink within the primary document to the attached file.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to try to do your last sentence
"Or insert the actual PDF's Content into this PDF which makes it all one document." --- and create a link within the primary document to open the secondary attachment.How do I do that?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, easiest is for you to look at step 5 here which shows this

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/how-to/organize-insert-pages-pdf.html

With screen shots on how to add it so you can follow it. Let me know how you go with this.

The attach you cannot reference from within the same file, but it sounds like the inserting of the file (at the end for example) will be the best option.

Let me know how you go please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. ***** need, how can I get back to you.??
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I have marked this question to never close, so you can just return here and post a message like you are doing now. No time limit on this. This is no problem.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thank you. If it works you are 5 all the way.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

and if it does not, let me know where you got stuck please

(ratings you do via the actual stars at the top then submit)

Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By the way, I am on a mac... so right clicking does not always work...
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

No it wont, but you are aware on how to zip on a mac correct as I believe this is what you said.

If not I can tell you how.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do know how to zip/compressThanks
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

your welcome

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just tried step 5 and that actually directs me to "insert" an external attachment into the primary document. That is not what I want to do. I want to simply insert a "hyperlink" or "thumbnail" that the reader can click on to "go to" that attachment.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

yes, this is what I explained before. Unless you host the file, you cannot give the link as the path changes, so why you would then inset the page itself.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not trying to link to external document. I have attached the reference document to the primary document (no kinking - per adobe instructions). Now, I just need to reference my attached document within the primary document.Adobe makes a big deal between linking to and attachments.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Perhaps this is not possible, but that is difficult to believe.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

You mean a link to another section within the same document?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
I have document 1.... it describers students who have taken a course
I have documengt 2... that lists all demographic information for 500 students who have taken the courseDocument 1 is my primary document, but I now need to jump out to document 2 so the end evaluator can see the evidence of the 500 students referenced in document 1
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

yes... and this is by linking to the document.

You are creating a link to this other document within this one.

Or you insert the actual document within it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am only linking to document 2 which I have "attached" per adobe guidelines, within document 1. It was my understanding that because it is "attached", it is no longer a "link out"When I save, by document 1 and document 2 are both saved together.All I want to do is to now create a referencer point within document 1 to "open" document 2
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

A spot that when they click on it will open Document 2 correct

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

and the only way is to link to it or insert the file into it. The two methods I have described.

Attaching is linking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no way to do it ---- is what I hear you saying
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

yes there is.

I will again go over how you can do this.

These are the only ways it gets done. Either linked or inserted. It is the only way it can work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand what you are saying. This go to an external file locationI am now thinking I need to use the "attach file" functionality that
Is an internal function. Nothing external to link to. Simply internal linkingIf you think I still don't understand,
I will just keep
Searching
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is exactly what I am doing, but it only will send me to my file folder locations, it will not send me to my "attached" files. By going to my external file locations, it clearly is an external linkIf I could get to my "attached" file list, then I would think it would be an internal link
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

You cannot link to a internal file list, it only will link to an external file.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. If that is the case, then there is probably noting more you can help me with. I need to figure out PLAN BThanks
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I would make the document part of the main one, but separate it with 2 pages.

Else you would need to host the file, which is how it is done by compaines eg: for PDF user manuals with links to the service documents.

But it has to be one of these two options when using Acrobat

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome

Like I said before, there is no time limit on this question, so any follow ups, just let me know here please.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Understood
Thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

your welcome