caraleneK
caraleneK, Software Engineer
Experience:  You one stop software Engineer
75835320

My computer downloaded windows 10 (had windows 8). My

Customer Question

My computer downloaded windows 10 (had windows 8). My setting screen wont open. Whenever I try and open it just crashes the screen back to the desktop. It also won't update because I can't open the windows updater which is in the settings. I found this to be a common issue and it said that microsoft has come out with KB3036140 which fixes it and to update to that patch. However I can't update because it's broken so i feel like its a catch 22. Any ideas? Thanks.
Category: Software
Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be providing an answer to your question today

Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. Can you look at this for me please

This issue may occur due to missing updates. As you are unable to check for updates. I suggest you to check for Windows Updates without the Start menu:

1. Tap or click the Internet Explorer icon and do to the webpage
  2. Type http://update.microsoft.com into the address bar and hit Enter.
  3. If you are prompted to run a control, click Yes.
  4. This should bring up the Check for Updates window. Install updates.

If no update is available, or the available updates don’t resolve the issue, reboot the device. The Start menu should come back. To reboot without using the Start menu:

1. Hold down the Windows key and press L to Lock the device. Swipe up or press Enter to get the log in screen. Use the Power icon on the log in screen to restart the computer.

OR
  2. Hold down the Windows key and press R to get a Command Prompt. At the prompt, type shutdown –r to reboot the device.

Waiting your feedback

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It brought me to a website not an updater. It says everything in windows 10 is automatic or can be done from the settings menu (which I cant open). However I ran windows update troubleshooter and it says "service registration is missing or corrupt" - not fixed
Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 year ago.

Please see if you can ...Download Windows update troubleshooter from Microsoft site. It will fix your registry
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9830262

Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 year ago.

Please note I can also log on to your machine and help you.

Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 year ago.

Hello, When you hover over the PC settings icon on the taskbar, do you see a taskbar thumbnail preview of it?

If so, then the PC settings window may be off-screen. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/75291-offscreen-window-move-back-desktop.html

Waiting your feedback

Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 year ago.

Please, Rate if you are SATISFIED with my help, as this is the only way the site will give me credit for my time. If you still need help, ASK FOR MORE HELP by replying to me.