Mr. Perez
Mr. Perez, Systems Engineer
Experience:  Degree on Information Technology, strong knowledge of Programming, Networking, Mathematics. Two years service in the field.
76000333

I have installed windows 10 using a DVD ISO on my Acer

Customer Question

I have installed windows 10 using a DVD ISO on my Acer Travelmate. The problem is how to get it activated. I have tried various product keys but to no avail. Is it possible to get a product key without having to buy one from Microsoft as it costs nearly £200?
Category: Software
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 1 year ago.

When you install from DVD you would need to activate it by purchasing a key. There is no other work around - but this was a free upgrade if you had your copy reserved on a previous version of windows.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a previous version of windows installed, 8, and reserved my free copy. But every time I followed the instructions on the windows icon the system doesn't install. It simply shuts down the computer at variable points. I have tried at least 15 times.

If we go back to the same situation; then i am positive we can troubleshoot the issue with the upgrade. BUT in the clean install; we have no options but to upgrade the license. When the upgrade fails; it provides you with an error code which is what we can use to troubleshoot the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I get no error code. The computer just shuts down and the installation stops.

Can i connect to it to troubleshoot the issue directly? Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes you can.

Please click the link below and run/open the downloaded program:
https://secure.logmeinrescue.com/R?i=2&Code=804604

Expert:  Mr. Perez replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to hear you are having this issue.

If you performed a clean installation instead of an upgrade, you'll be asked to enter a Windows 10 product key or buy a new license in order to activate Windows 10. This is because Microsoft wasn't able to register your free upgrade entitlement with the activation servers because you didn't upgrade to Windows 10. To fix this, you'll need to go back to your previous version of Windows, make sure the previous version is activated, and then upgrade to Windows 10.

Hope it helps.

Expert:  Mr. Perez replied 1 year ago.

Here is some tips on how to go back to previous version.

Go back to your previous version of Windows

For a month after you upgrade to Windows 10, you’ll be able to go back to your previous version of Windows from Settings> Update & security > Recovery. This will keep your personal files, but it'll remove apps and drivers installed after the upgrade, as well as any changes you made to settings.

To go back, you'll need to:

• Keep everything in the windows.old and $windows.~bt folders after the upgrade.

• Remove any user accounts you added after the upgrade.

• Know the password ***** used to sign in to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 (if you used one).

• Have the USB drive you used to upgrade to Windows 10 (if you used one).

Note

• If you go back to Windows 8.1, some apps that came with Windows, like Mail and People, might not work anymore. To fix them, reinstall them from the Store.

If go back isn't available

• Check to see if you can restore your PC to factory settings. This will reinstall the version of Windows that came with your PC and remove personal files, apps and drivers you installed, and any changes you made to settings. Go to Settings > Update & security > Recovery > Reset this PC > Get started and look for Restore factory settings.

If you created a recovery drive before upgrading to Windows 10, you might be able to use it to restore factory settings (even if the option isn’t showing up in Settings). For more info, see Use a recovery drive to reinstall Windows.

• If you have installation media and a product key for your previous version of Windows, you can use them to go back. Get the details in Use installation media to reinstall Windows.

Expert:  Mr. Perez replied 1 year ago.

If you need more help please feel free to comment below