Randy Computer Tech
Randy Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Technician
62741268

I have windows 10 installed. It started downloading updates

Customer Question

I have windows 10 installed. It started downloading updates and froze at 30 % complete. I cannot get into the computer. It will not complete the start-up,,it freezes mid-window, I've gotten into the Quick Web, but cannot get into any other applications.
Category: Software
Expert:  Randy Computer Tech replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be glad to assist you with this. .
I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.
Remove all. Oonected external drives if you have any connected, then unplug the power cable,
Then while all devices and power cable is disconnected, press and hold the power button for 60 seconds.
Then reconnect the power cable only, then press the power button to power on normally. The computer should bout up normally. If it doesn't then we will need to try booting to safe mode next

Safe Mode is an inbuilt troubleshooting feature which disables unnecessary drivers and programs during the startup process. This allows us to isolate any setting or system errors and fix them at the root, without non-essential applications interfering.

One of the easiest methods to boot into Safe Mode in Windows 10 is to use the System Configuration tool. Many users know this tool by its executable name: msconfig.exe.

The fastest way to launch System Configurationin Windows 10 is to use the Run window. To do that, simultaneously press the Windows + Rkeys on your keyboard. Then, write msconfig in the text field and press Enter or OK.

Another way of opening the System Configuration Tool is to use Cortana. InCortana's search field, enter the words "system configuration". Then click or tap on the System Configuration Tool app.

Switch to the Boot tab and, in the Boot optionssection, select the Safe boot option. Then, click or tap on OK.

Windows 10 will tell you that you need to reboot your device in order for the new setting to take effect. If you still have work to do, you can select to "Exit without restart". If not, you can restart now and your device will automatically boot into Safe Mode.

2. Use the Shift + Restart combination

Another way of getting into Safe Mode in Windows 10 is to use the Shift + Restartcombination. Open the Start menu and click or tap on the Power button.

Then, while keeping the Shift key pressed, click or tap on Restart.

Note that you can also use the Shift + Restartcombination from the Sign In screen.

Then, Windows 10 will reboot and ask you to select an option. Choose Troubleshoot.

Then, on the Troubleshoot screen, selectAdvanced options.

On the Advanced options screen, chooseStartup Settings.

Windows 10 notifies you that you can restart your device in order to change advanced boot options, including enabling Safe Mode. PressRestart.

After Windows 10 reboots, you can choose which boot options you want enabled. To get into Safe Mode, you have three different options. To enable Safe Mode press the F4 key on your keyboard, to enable Safe Mode with Networking press F5 and to enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt press F6.