flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant
Experience:  Consultant 30 years in nyc computer industry working with PC and networks banks brokerage legal etc.
23372949

I have a POS windows based application with a customer data

Customer Question

I have a POS windows based application with a customer data entry screen. There is about 10 different fields that need to be input. I need to rekey all of our customer data back into the system and I am wondering if there is some way to automate this process using a data file? I have over 14000 customers to key back in/.
Category: Software
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.

Yes there probably is. But to do so will require some custom programming by a professional

Most modern systems like this use some sort of sql data base.

If there are odbc drivers for it than you can load them and access the data base through a database program such as access. Once you have that set up you just have to run a query that adds the data from your existing data file into the data file in the program making sure to put the correct field from one into the matching field from the other.

It is not really a hard job and should certainly be cheaper than paying somebody to do it by hand. But it really does need somebody that knows programming and preferably has some experience with the program.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have already tried to import the data directly into the jet database matching up the fields and making sure that the data types are the same but when I try to access the data through the program after it has been imported the program just hangs and I have to Cntl + Alt+ Del to get out of it. When the data is keyed into the program it works just fine. Any other suggestions?

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.

thats why i said that you need a professional familiar with the program and how to do it.

You might have an index that needs updating

there might be a parent record that needs doing as well.