Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Computers, Mobile devices and Networks
32989067

I have been unable to keep Media player 12 populated even

Customer Question

I have been unable to keep Media player 12 populated even since windows 10 was updated on my computer. Using "organize", over a period of time WMP populates itself but when I come back yo use it sometime later it is completely empty. What gives??
Category: Software
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi There and welcome

It looks like the Media player database may be corrupted so I want you to recreated it please.

To do this.

Make sure Media Player is close.

Then press the windows button + R and type in

services.msc

Press enter

find the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service. To disable it,RightClick it and Select Stop.

Then press the windows key + R and type in

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player.

Press enter

From here delete all of the files named CurrentDatabase_***.wmdb and LocalMLS_*.wmdb. (Warning – there are several LocalMLS_*.wmdb files, make sure to delete them all!) (Note – The “*” stands for a random number, the numbers differ on each machine, so we can’t really tell exactly what the file is called. There are only a few files, though, you should find them easily).

Once done, go back to the services window again

From the Services window, find the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service again, but this time when Right-Clicking select Start.

Then Open up media player and watch your library rebuild itself. Depending on the amount of songs you have and how fast your computer is this process can take from 30 seconds to 15 minutes.

Let me know if it then functions correctly please.

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried this, or a similar, solution in the past and it does not work. However, I will try again being careful to follow each of the steps you have laid out. I will get back to you when I have results.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

yes, please carefully follow my steps and make sure they are carried out correctly as this has always solved it for me in the past.

Please take your time as there is no time limit on this question, and let me know the results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WMP is up to 32,213 items and still populating. May I point out that since Windows 10 was installed on my machine, I have been able to populate WMP12, but for some reason following population, the next time I open it WMP12 is empty. That is my problem. So this is just an update, I will let you know when it has completed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I just now came back to see how WM12 was doing and it is completely empty. There is absolutely nothing in it. Just like it has been in the recent past. Now what??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello --- my problem remains unsolved. Do you have any other solutions? If not please refund my payment.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, then it is a compatability issue between your computer and windows 10

For now, until an update is released, you will need to return to your previous version of windows.

To do this, open the Start menu and select Settings. Click the “Update & security” icon and select “Recovery.”

You should see a “Go back to Windows 7″ or “Go back to Windows 8.1″ option. Click the Get started button to get rid of your Windows 10 install and restore your previous Windows install. Microsoft will ask you why you want to go back.

It will then work correctly. But for now you will need to revert back until a patch has been released.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
First off, that option is not available to me. Settings says it is available for only one month after upgrading to windows 10. It has been more than a month.
Second, your suggestion seems to be a cop out and is unacceptable. If it was a compatibility issue it would be all over Microsoft forums but there is no mention of it. You response is not accepted.Under "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player" I find this "CurrentDatabase 400.wmdb 08/25/2015 4:41PM Windows Media Library 1,024KB"
That appears to say that I have a library of 1,024 KB available but somehow not readable by WMP12. Does that help?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

It is not a cop out. I have dealt with this issue a lot and if my initial procedure does not fix it and you want this functionality then for now this is what you need.

I understand you wanted a refund but I don't feel you need to respond to me in such a manner. I am also not going to speak on behalf of Microsoft forums and why they do or do not mention information.

I know you are pushing towards the refund, there is no need to interact like this, you can just get one by going to the link below

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wait a minute, Sorry if "cop out" offended you but your solution does not work and I cannot go back to Windows 7. I am not pushing for a refund, I am pushing for a solution. What about the fact that the database seems to be populated but somehow not recognized by the app?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

yes, this is the symptom with the latest release.

The solution is either to return to the previous version, or use an alternative product such as iTunes, which does not break on every update which WMP has done in the past and offers the same functionality.

You can only wipe and repopulate the database which we have done. Its to ingrained into the Operating system for any other options that you have with standard applications.