Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, IT Expert
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP. Software Integration and Deployment Expert
23511658

Trying to convert a graphic that contains a photo and text

Customer Question

Trying to convert a graphic that contains a photo and text into a vector in CorelDraw x7. When it converts some letters join together and the other parts of the graphic look different. How do I convert this graphic to a vector without losing any detail and without looking any different?
Category: Software
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question.

Converting from a bitmap to a vector image is not a perfect science. The reason is that there is no definite boundary between the contrasting areas. Particularly with text the quick trace and trace will result in mediocre results by default. So to answer your question, you can't. Not without making it look any different. Generally, what you have to do if you want perfect vectors that you can easily scale is to re-create the elements as vectors. There is no degree of tracing that will do it as perfectly as creating those elements – especially the text. The challenge is the very reason why vector images are easier to work with them bitmaps – they can inherently be scaled. There is no easy transition from one to the other. This is also exaggerated in a photograph where there are many different shades of gray or color – every discrete shade must have its own vector. The higher the fidelity between the bitmap in the vector image the more complex the vector image becomes – at annex financial rate. For the photograph, it's unlikely that you will be able to get an accurate representation of that in a vector image. The texts can be re-created or, if the text is scaled large enough and in a high enough resolution and with a high enough contrast – for example RGB black on RGB white, you can get a good result. Anything in between those 2 extremes, however, is not seen as discrete and will not give you separation between the vectors. I'm sure you will have additional questions and I will remain available to you for discussion as long as you need.