Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Computers, Mobile devices and Networks
32989067

I created an encrypted Word file in Windows 7 Pro on one

Customer Question

I created an encrypted Word file in Windows 7 Pro on one computer, and then tried to open it in Windows 8 Pro on another computer. It didn't open, and then would not open again in Windows 7. I exported the security certificate from the Windows 7 computer, and that didn't work either. Can you help?
Category: Software
Expert:  technicalcat replied 1 year ago.

When you say encrypted, do you mean you put a password ***** it using MS Word, or do you mean you used some other encryption program to encrypt the file?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
only put a password ***** it in Microsoft Word.
Thank you for that information.
Are you certain that you actually REMOVED your original file from the Windows 7 computer? So, are you certain that you now only have one copy that you have touched on the Windows 8 machine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The file was on a memory stick, and was repeatedly modified using the Windows 7 machine. I tried to open it while still on the memory stick using the Windows 8 machine. I also have tried opening the file by placing it on both machines.

Any specific error? What exactly happens when you try to open on the Windows 7 machine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Get a dialog box that says "Word cannot open this file. The encryption type used is not available, contact the author of the file. More encryption types are available using the High Encryption Pack."
Please answer all of the following so I can better assist.
1) When you first tried to open on the Windows 8 computer, did you get the same error?
2) What version of Word are you running on the Windows 7 computer, and what version on Windows 8?
3) Are you certain that you have not upgraded or changed any versions of MS Word on either computer since after you created this file?
4) You mention you have the file on a flash drive. Have you taken this file to any other computer and worked on it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) Yes, 2) Windows 7 = Word 2007, and Windows 8 = Word 2013, 3) Yes, however, I believe both computers have had automatic updates, 4) No.
Would you be able to confidentially send me the file, and the password, so that I could try to open with more than one version of Word? The error you are getting is quite specific, and usually always ties in to the file being encrypted with a different version of Word, than what you are trying to open it with. So, let me know if you'd like to send me the file. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have never used this type of service before, so sending a password ***** really be stepping outside my comfort zone. Do you have any other options ?
Sorry, I do not have any other ideas. Will opt your question out to other experts for review. Please don't respond to this question, until another expert steps in to help, as that will only delay response. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's been over a day and a half, and I've heard nothing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yet another day has passed...
Expert:  CompDoc replied 1 year ago.

I researched and this is what I have found to help. The second pc does not have the correct encryption to unlock. It needs to be updated. You can use the directions to look at the pc you encrrypted with to have those settings becasue the second pc must have the same.

http://www.helpinfo.com/index.jsp?CurrentPage=1&LastQuery=null&T1=%20%20&T2=null&T3=null&T4=null&formwassubmitted=true&isbrowse=false&k2dockey=1021044545115435907&startat=1&taxlevel=null&taxlevelValue=null&titlestring=Microsoft%20Word&typeofsearch=default

Need to make sure your software is up to date

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-word/word-2007-cant-open-password-protected-docx-from/83f6b575-734c-43a2-b143-93dcd2c91684

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you be specific on the update? To Word or Windows, and which version?
Expert:  CompDoc replied 1 year ago.

If you have windows update set up correctly it will update windows and office.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate the necessity for brevity in what you do, however my issue remains after well more than a month. It is an issue I believe is easy to solve. As far as I know, both computers are fully updated. I am happy to upgrade to a phone conversation, and in fact, requested that quite some time ago. I would like to give you a favorable review, and not request a refund.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It would be great to get at least the courtesy of a reply.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you download please the compatibility pack for Office on both computers from my link below

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3

Make sure to restart the computer after installing and tell me if it then opens please.

Let me know the results please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did what you requested, but there was no change, and received the identical error message.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, there is a bit of dialogue here in this question so to be sure, exactly what message are you now getting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Get a dialogue box that says "Word cannot open this file. The encryption type used is not available, contact the author of the file. More encryption types are available using the High Encryption Pack."
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Can I look at the file please?

It looks like the encryption is corrupted, and I can crack this with a tool I have and then re-encrypt it for you.

- Click the following link: http://www.wikisend.com

- Upload the file to that website

- Once it is uploaded, the resulting page will display a "File ID" number.

- Please, give me that "File ID Number"

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, I can't provide the file, as it contains confidential information. Do you have any other method? It appears to me to be a simple matter of creating in one Windows/Word version, then attempting to open in another.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

creating what sorry?

Its not a simple matter.. else the action I had would have resolved it, which points to a corrupted file, which is why I wanted to view it to confirm this.

But what are referring to when you say "It appears to me to be a simple matter of creating in one Windows/Word version, then attempting to open in another"

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure if you read this entire thread, but the file was created in Windows 7 / Word 2007, then I tried to open on another computer, using Windows 8 / Word 2013.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

yes I read the entire thread. Points to a corrupted file only reason left for this, and I can try to repair it as I mentioned but not without the file.