Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

I'LL START HERE BECAUSE I CAN'T FIND AN EXACT MATCH.

Customer Question

I'LL START HERE BECAUSE I CAN'T FIND AN EXACT MATCH. I NEED TO GET RID OF A VIRUS RIGHT AWAY. AFTER A LONGER THAN USUAL BOOT, A WHITISH, BLANK SCREEN APPEARS 4 A FEW SECONDS THEN A SMALL POPUP APPEARS WITH THE WORDS: GENERIC HOST PROCESS 4 WINDOWS 32SERVICES
4 ALSO A FEW SECONDS THEN ALL DISAPPEARS 4 SEVERAL SECONDS AND THE PROCESS KEEPS LOOPING. I KNOW THERE'S A VIRUS INVOLVED BECAUSE EVERY FEW MINUTES A TAB APPEARS ON THE TOOLBAR LASTING ONLY A FEW SECONDS READING- POLICE REPORT & THEN DISAPPEARS. I BELIEVE
I'VE BEEN THE VICTIM OF A DRIVE-BY-DOWNLOAD. ANYWAY, WHAT'S GOING ON & HOW DO I FIX THE PROBLEM? SOME EXPERT PLEASE HELP!
Category: Software
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. This type of infection is called ransomware. When you scanned with those programs did you do it in safe mode? If you did not it could have re-created itself or at least some of it's files.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FREDDY,I COULDN'T EVEN GET INTO SAFE MODELET ALONE DO ANY TYPE OF SCANNING.I DID SCAN NORMALLY WITH MALAWAREBYTES & GOT RID OF A FEW NON-MALWAREITEMS. WHEN I SCANNED WITH SUPERANTISYWAREMORE OF THE SAME WITH 1 EXCEPTION BEING A FILESTART ME...\POWERREGSCHEDULER.V3 EXE & SOMEPUP FILES, ETC.ANYWAY, YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO SHOW ME STEP BY STEPHOW TO GET RID OF THIS PEST. NOW I HAD THIS ONCE BEFOREA LITTLE MORE SERIOUS( COULDN'T EVEN SEE THE DESKTOP)& HAD TO CREATE A BOOTABLE DISC JUST TO START THE MACHINESO IT COULD BE CLEANSED 4 VIRUSES. IT DID THE TRICK.LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR SOLUTION.R. FEE
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
just to clarify you have since posting this question completely reinstalling windows from a boot able disc?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ABSOLUTELY NOT.I MADE A BOOTABLE DISC TO STARTTHE MACHINE IN ANOTHER MODE TO SCAN& DELETE VIRUSES. THEN RE-START & HOPEFULLYBE BACK TO NORMAL.ANY OTHER PROCEDURES PLEASE DISCUSS IN DETAIL.R. FEE
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok what version of windows is on the computer?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
XP SERVICE PACK 3
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Turn it off completely, then press power and repeatedly tap F8 as it is starting up. You will come to a menu use the arrow an enter keys to choose safe mode with nothing else. No networking or anything like that. Once logged in run the scanners in this mode. In other modes some infections can re-create themselves. Let me know the results when you can, malwarebytes is what you would want to use but it would not hurt to scan with them all. The trial version of hitman pro can be used as well it works better than super anti spyware and is usable for free the first time you install it, just use the trial version.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I TRIED ALL THREE MODES. 1ST NETWORKING, THEN COMMAND PROMPT, THEN PLAIN OLD SAFE MODE.NOT IN THAT ORDER. I DID SAFE MODE 1ST. THEN IT WOULD BRING ME TO ANOTHER PAGE TO CHOOSEMY OPERATING SYSTEM, THEN HIT ENTER. 1ST THE PROCESSOR PAGE WOULD COME UP THEN INSTEADOF WINDOWS STARTING UP IT WOULD GO BACK TO THE PAGE WITH THE CHOOSE SAFE MODE ON IT.BEFORE THE CHANGE THE SCREEN WOULD GO BLACK INTO A DOS LIKE SYSTEM WITH VARIOUS FILESSCROLLING DOWN?BASICALLY LOOPING OVER AND OVER AGAIN.NOW WHAT?R. FEE
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
DOS is what should come up if you use the command prompt option only. When choosing regular safe mode it is asking you to choose an OS? Do you have more than one installed?
.