Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

I have many emails on a server that is about to go offline.

Customer Question

I have many emails on a server that is about to go offline. I want to keep these emails, but I wont have access to them on the Outlook server any longer.
What is the best way to keep the emails. Some are archived and some on the server.
Category: Software
Expert:  Lachard Binkley replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Thank you for coming to Just Answer my name is***** best way to save email to highlight the files you want to save and use save as. First go to the emails you want to save if it is multiple emails you can select the first email and then press control and a at the same time. Once they are all highlighted go back to the top and press file. Then you will select save as it will give you the option to save it as a .txt or you can save it in a different format. It will also ask you where to save it to.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i wont be saving them on this computer...should I do what you say and send them to a flash drive. Can I recover them that way

This is another way if you want to do an entire folder at onceSave Outlook folder to disk, hard drive or desktop with exportingPlease do as follows to save Outlook folder to disk, hard drive or desktop.1. Open the Import and Export Wizard dialog box.In Outlook 2013, please click File > Open & Export > Import/Export;In Outlook 2010, please click File > Open > Import;In Outlook 2007, please click File > Import and Export.2. In the Import and Export Wizard dialog box, please click Export to a file, then click the Next button. 3. Then click Outlook Data File (.pst) in Outlook 2010 and 2013 or Personal Folder File (.pst) in Outlook 2007, then click the Next button. 4. In the Export Outlook Data File/Export Personal Folder dialog box, you need to do as follows.1). Select an Outlook folder which you want to export under a certain account in the Select the folder to export from box;2). If you want to export the folder includes all its subfolders, please check the Include subfolders box;3). Click the Next button. See screenshot: 5. In the next Export Outlook Data File/Export Personal Folder dialog box, click the Browse button. Note: You can choose what you need from the three Options.6. Then the Open Outlook Data Files/Open Personal Folders dialog box pops up, you need to:1). Rename the .pst file in the File name field if you need;2). Choose the location where to save the file;If you want to save the file to the disk or hard drive, please find and select them;If you just want to save it to the desktop, please click Desktop in the left pane.3). Click the OK button. 7. Then it returns to the Export Outlook Data File/Export Personal Folder dialog box, please click the Finish button.
Please let me know if you have any questions