Russell H., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Proud to have been getting computer technicalities into working order since 1988.
13568747

Google Maps no longer works, giving me an error message: "You

Customer Question

Google Maps no longer works, giving me an error message: "You seem to be using an unsupported browser". I'm running IE9, Version 9.0.8112.16421 which I know previously worked fine. It is typically automatically kept "up-to-date". This PC is, for the most part, "static" when it comes to my installing software. What I will note, however, is that this problem seemed to crop up immediately after a JAVA update, (which I'm constantly pestered to do, but often ignore). Guess I should have ignored it that time, too. I've tried to update IE9 from MicroSoft, but they're telling me I'm running the most recent version.
What to do ?
Category: Software
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
You may not be able to install IE 10 or IE 11 on a Windows Vista system.
As for what to do about Google Maps no longer working: was it very long ago, that you noticed the Google Maps problem, and did the Java update? if not too long ago, both should hopefully be reversible, by doing a System Restore back to then - see below.
Also... you may try (before the System Restore is a better time for this, than after...) going to
Start - Control Panel - Internet Options
and go to the Advanced tab, then do the RESET there, of IE 9 settings.
And close all IE 9 windows, wait a few minutes, and try Google Maps again with it.
Then go back to Internet Options (if that fails to help with Google Maps) and go to the Programs tab, and go to Manage Add-Ons, then disable *all* the Add-Ons (noting down which ones you disable) and then close all IE 9 browser windows, wait a few minutes, and try again.
And if that fails, System Restore may be done as follows
:
Go to
Start - [All] Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore
and choose to Restore system to a previous [etc.], then from the calendar-like interface, choose the first restore point *before* the problem started, then do the restoring.
(Warning: it may help to first disconnect from the internet, then also disable - temporarily, i.e. turn Off - your anti-virus utility, since they can often interfere with the Restore operation completing successfully.... before doing a System Restore.)
The computer will grind away for a while, then restart automatically, then grind away some more, and hopefully will come up with a message that the Restore operation was fully successful.
And hopefully that will cure the problem.
(PS: Do not choose to do a System Restore if you have recently installed any Microsoft software of any considerable cost. Its installation may be reversed, and you may lose money that way. Let me know if you think that's the case, and I will advise you further as to what to do.)