Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

I have an article that is showing up under my name that

Customer Question

I have an article that is showing up under my name that I want to have removed. Is that possible? The article is showing up under: Dr. Leslie Donnelly, and the article never uses that term. It only says Leslie Donnelly
Thank you
Category: Software
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The article is from a reputable site, and they will not take it down. I just want to remove it from the search of Dr. Leslie Donnelly. It does not make sense that an article that only says Leslie Donnelly would show up under a search for Dr. Leslie Donnelly.
Expert:  Michael Norman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is, Mike. I'd like to try and assist you by providing additional information. So essentially what is happening is I think you have a misunderstanding as to how search engines work. They basically show results on key word hits. This means if you search Dr. Leslie Donnelly, you are going to get search results for other Lesslie Donnelly's even if they do or do not have Dr. in front of their name. For that reason there is nothing they can do as the I'm sure the Leslie Donelly referenced in the article is a legitimate person and it is by no fault of the publisher of the article that this is included in your search results. This is an issue based on how search engines index web pages and provide results based on key word hits. If you want a true search result of your name you need to include quotation marks before and after your name (i.e. "Dr. Leslie Donnelly"). This will search for only your name as it appears in quotes versus a standard search (i.e. Dr Leslie Donnelly) without quotes will return a variety of searches and variations of your name (i.e Dr. Leslie, Dr. Donnelly, Leslie Donnelly, etc.) which may also be associated to other people that share the same name.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, What about all of the sites that list me as Dr. Leslie Donnelly that I can't get on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I do put my name in quotes, will that be the first link that responds or will one of the others without the quotes come up first?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
People who are googling me are not going to put "Dr. Leslie Donnelly" with quotations.
If you search using quotes you will only get results that show the exact appearance of "Dr. Leslie Donnelly" in that exact order with those exact words. Search without quotes is more a a wild card search meaning that you can get search results for any combination and variation of the name Dr. Leslie Donnelly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, that's not going to help me. I need a way of making the bad site move way down the page of the google search for Dr. Leslie Donnelly. Is that possible?
Yes that is possible if you have a personal web page. You can use Search Engine Optimization techniques that will help make you appear higher in generic search results for Dr. Lesslie Donnelly or Lesslie Donnelly. If you do not have a website, then unfortunately there is nothing you can as this is due to how the search engine rates sites, indexes the content of the site, and the key words used by the site.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Mike,Can you please recommend a reputable Search Engine Optimization company?
Hello. SEO companies can be quite expensive. Typically they will change anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars to do the initial setup and then where they really get you are their monthly fees. Monthly SEO fees can range anywhere from $300-$500 per month. My recommendation is to do the SEO work yourself. There are several books and videos on YouTube to walk you through the SEO process and explain how to use SEO. I always recommend that my customers do this on their own. SEO is not really difficult and companies capitalize on the lack of public knowledge by trying to make it seem more difficult than it actually is. You can go to YouTube and search "SEO for Beginners" and get a lot of instructional videos, a lot of which offer several lessons to walk you through the process. Here are a couple of videos to get you started:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNN8eDMeNSQhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7RzFyzU9F4 I also recommend signing up for Google Analytics and take advantage of their free tools. Simply create a free Google account if you don't already have one (i.e. a Google Mail email address) and then do s Google search for "Google Webmaster Tools" and it will be the first search result. Also, if you have not done already, you need to submit your website URL address to the major browsers.Here is the info for Google. You will notice your first option it says "Add a URL"https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/6259634 Here is the link for Yahoo/Bing:https://search.yahoo.com/info/submit.html;_ylt=A0LEV0MOB7BVh9MA7g5XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyaXExZ2YwBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjAyNDVfMQRzZWMDc3I-?&fr=yfp-t-603 Also too it is important to understand that by doing these things, changes do not take effect over night. It take some time, anywhere from a couple weeks to a month, for the search engines to update their information. This is a process and you have to be patient. But by doing this stuff on your own, you will save a ton of money and will greatly help to improve your knowledge and understanding of how search engines work which will improve how you create and develop content for your website.