Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I have vast experience with configuring & repairing and utilizing software.Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I have lost a file in in design

Customer Question

I have lost a file in in design
Category: Software
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. Before we speak over the phone, Id like to ask you a phone questions to make sure I am going to be able to help you. To get started, I need to know what type of computer you're using.Windows XP, Widows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Or a Mac. If it's a Mac, please check the OSX version as follows. Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply. Also, the file you lost from indesign, was it a brand new file you were working on that hadnt been saved. Or was this a file you have used for some time, thats no longer showing? Please provide as much detail as you can, thank you. Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is an IMac new versiion of 10.10.4 the file that I have worked on before making changes on the indesign.Tammy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The error message says "either your file never existed or maybe it is being used by another application".
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought I could check work that I did yesterday on the Mac but there doesn't seem to be any dates for yesterday's work.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
My apologies for the delay, Ive been putting off dinner for a while and just returned Tammy. If youd like to speak over the phone. With the description you gave I should be able to help you. And if I cant, I will help you submit a full refund request. Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to leave for dinner myself. I will have to consider it tomorrow or later tonight. Maybe just write the answer and then if I need further help we can talk. Tammy
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Understood. I hope you enjoy dinner, and your welcome to respond to me tomorrow or later this week as your time permits. Here are some initial repairs to try. ( Keep in mind, these are possible solutions, with the handful of issues that can be causing the problem, these initial steps are just covering some likely possibilities.) First, run this repair with all programs closed. Open your finder ( magnifying glass ) type in disk utility, and launch the disk utility application.On the left side of the disk utility window, click your mac hd, then at the lower right hand side, click repair permissions . Once it says permissions repair complete. Restart your mac. Then, when you mac very first starts to power up press and hold the shift key and keep holding it till you hear the startup chime. Then, once the mac is booted up. Find the indesign file ( don't open indesign yet) Rename the file to a new name. And then open indesign.. Then, have indesign open the file as a copy. Will it open now? If you get stuck or run into any issues, or if this initial repair doesnt work.. Let me know. I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.Dustin S.Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.