Russell H., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Proud to have been getting computer technicalities into working order since 1988.
13568747

My windows server computer shuts down automatically every 7 days.

Customer Question

Category: Software
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OS - Windows Server 2011
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. Look in the logs to see whether it shows 'Shutdown initiated' before the shutdown happens. If the server is on an UPS box - and it should be, for greater power stability - then an initiated shutdown might mean (if the UPS is old enough) that the UPS is doing weekly self-testing, and finding its batteries wanting for the duration of the self-test, and sending a 'warning shutdown' (warning of impending power failure) to the Server machine in consequence. Also, much more doubtfully, you might be having a periodic power failure, which does the same thing ultimately: stimulate the UPS backup power system to warn the Server of an impending need for shutdown. However, that power failure would have to be fairly long, like 2 hours or some such time length, unless the above-mentioned (the batteries in the UPS being near failure and unable to keep the server running on their own for long) is the case. A simple-enough test of the UPS batteries is, to unplug the UPS for a minute (60 seconds)... (at some non-critical time when there is nothing much going on in the Server machine) and note whether the Server shows a shutdown in consequence. And of course, look in the Scheduled Tasks on the Server, and see if there is one (if not a Shutdown, then some event or other) scheduled for that day and approximate hour, each week. I'm interested in this case... please tell me what you think, what you find out, etc. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is like very very basic answer. I have already looked at the logs many times. It just says OS initiating a graceful shutdown. Why was the money deducted from my account without the proper solution.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I have no power over billing nor payment. For such matters, please contact Customer Support at JustAnswer.com. They can be contacted through http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us and they will address your concern with reasonable promptness, I feel sure. Please try what I suggested: look in the Scheduled Tasks on the Server, and see if there is one (if not a Shutdown, then some event or other) scheduled for the day and approximate hour, each week, that the shutdown happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no scheduled task active scheduled task running on the server. Please find attached the screenshot of running tasks in Task schedular.This issue is not related to any task scheduler, it is the server which is shutting down the OS due to some checks which are failing internally.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Screenshot attached.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the response. I need to ask you, at what times of day do the shutdowns occur? if the same time range each time, then that's significant one way - as opposed to if the times are scattered all around the clock, in which case, it is significant another way.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I shuts down exactly 7 days after the computer is started. So if we start at 12:00am then it will shutdown at exactly after 7 days, half an hour before 12:00am.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
That log is interesting, in that the interval doesn't seem to be quite 7 days, but 1/2 hour off... and in the first of the three cases, the interval is 5 days, not 7.... without the hour synchrony, not even faintly. So it isn't owing to any scheduled task, quite evidently. The logs suggest nothing, really, to my eye. Something happens how and then, that causes shutdown. 2:57, 6:15, 21:05... these are not consistent times of day. Days, Monday Tuesday or Wednesday (for the shutdown), are, oddly enough, sequential... the next shutdown might happen on Thursday, if that pattern goes on. Why? I haven't any idea. In this case, I think that you must investigate what happens to your system... e.g. go into the Event Viewer, and (with an eye for approximately the 10 or 15 minutes before each logged shutdown) look for events in common with the pre-shutdown times. That might offer some insight into what is actually going on, perhaps.