Richard Hall
Richard Hall,
Experience:  Chief Information Officer at Spectrum Contracting Serv.
77993500

I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 running Windows Vista. I cannot

Customer Question

I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 running Windows Vista. I cannot reinstall Vista CD. I get error code 2000-0146 when running tests. The start button does not come up on my screen. What do I need or what do I do.
Category: Software
Expert:  Richard Hall replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Richard and I'm here to help.Unfortunately the code you are receiving is due to a failing/failed hard drive so you are going to need to replace it.You can get a replacement drive online, or sometimes Best Buy might have on available. I was able to get one for a Toshiba just the other day.I've located a site that provides a replacement drive and it is 750GB which I believe is larger than what you were using to begin with.http://www.laptoppartsexpert.com/i-17244709-dell-inspiron-1720-hard-drive-replacement-9-5mm-750gb-serial-ata-2-6-5400rpm-hdd.html?gclid=CK-l4-G24sYCFYQ_aQodqMQI5AThe hard drive is located on the lower right hand side, and has the availability for two drives. So once the new drive is installed, you may be able to install the second one after the system is up and running again and possibly access some data that is needed to move to the new drive.If you have any questions, please let me know.Thanks,Richard