Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, IT Expert
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP. Software Integration and Deployment Expert
23511658

I am having issues with a HP X476dw Printer. It is causing

Customer Question

I am having issues with a HP X476dw Printer. It is causing Microsoft Office and Adobe Products to crash.
Category: Software
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question. The best thing you can do is to completely remove the printer by uninstalling all the driver software and HP software that has been installed for the printer. You will find these items under the control panel and uninstall a program. For each piece of HP software you see there, please right-click and select uninstall until they are all gone. Once that is done, restart your computer and then go through the software set up again but without plugging the printer in if you are using the USB port, until the software tells you to. This should give you a clean set up of the printer and it should operate properly. If it does not, then it is possible that there is something physical wrong with the printer which would be cause to have it repaired or even replaced. Please let me know how you make out. Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done this exactly. Twice. This printer works fine on 2 other computers.
In that case the next thing I would try is the same thing that you've done except that after the uninstall is completed, run the HP cleanup tool. Here is a link to the site that has the cleanup tool and an explanation on which one you should use and how to use it. But if you have any questions along the way, just let me know. http://bitli.es/LqbQS0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still freezing. I ran the cleanup 4 times as instructed and reinstalled from the factory disk.
One more thing you can try.If you go into your printers and devices, and then go into the ports that are set up for printers - check to see what is in there. If there are usb ports or anything related to HP, or that don't look right, remove them. In fact, there isn't much harm you can do at this point by doing this unless you have other printers connected that are working. Then go through the setup one more time and see if it runs... if it was the creation of the hp printing port that was causing a problem, this will fix it. BTW. For the software, I would download the latest from HP rather than using what is on the disk. The hp downloaded drivers and software will be much more recent.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have repeated this process multiple times using various drivers available from HP. The printer will work, however when changing the properties(i.e. which paper tray to use) it crashes the software.Any other Ideas?
There are couple of alternative uninstall methods. I suspect it still has something to do with a partial driver installation. One option is to run the UnInstaller that is in the setup directory. To do that follow these steps:1. Click Start and type %temp% in the run field and click OK.2. Look for, and open the folder starting with 7z (Example: 7zS2356) (if there is more than one 7z folder, try the most recent one)3. Open folder Util4. Open folder CCC5. Run the uninstall_ L4.bat for a non-HP PC or run the Uninstall_L3.bat for a HP PC6. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer If that doesn't help, you may be able to get an HP scrubber utility for this driver. They are specific to each driver. But the purpose of the scrubber is to completely remove the software. If you still have problems after doing all this, it would be time to look at the operating system. You may have some corruption in the operating system that needs to be repaired.