flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant
Experience:  Consultant 30 years in nyc computer industry working with PC and networks banks brokerage legal etc.
23372949

Designer deluxe 9.0.0.0After "skip labels" step, selected

Customer Question

Designer deluxe 9.0.0.0
After "skip labels" step, selected records do not show, do not print
What to do?
Category: Software
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.
what exactly are you trying to do with what exact software? who makes it if it is called designer deluxe. I get 1000 handbags if i google designer deluxe so its tough to find.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will attempt to save you from your problem with 1000 designer handbags.Designer deluxe: mylabel designer deluxe version 9.0 is available from Avanquest. It is a good piece of label maker software. I have used a previous version of it. Unfortunately that one was so old that, when I acquired the latest version, I discovered that the old database would not work with version 9.0. Cannot even view it.So here I am faced with the necessity of rebuilding the records table. I have conquered that challenge. I am now to the point where I can set up the label page but I cannot get the data records (name, address, etc.) to appear on the print preview display. I CAN accomplish the printing but it shows only blank labels.
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks i understand now. i wonder if the conversion went correctly. usually you can export to a csv file and then import again. But either version uses a standard format the new one may have the fields from the old database under new names and have blanks in the field names that you expected them to be in. ie it will have name address but there will be nothing in those fields and it will also have name1 or address1 and your old data will be in those fields. ( i am just taking a guess here especially to the field names) but if you did the csv export and import it puts things in the order they were field wise rather than matchng the name of the field. so they can easily be in the wrong field. try selecting every field in the database ( hopefully it has a drop down box to select them) and see which if any fields show up on the preview. otherwise i can get you my phone number and log in remotely to take a look at it for you. But there is an additional charge. Another thing you might consider is that while the old program was nice and easy the new one may have added so many features that it is no longer easy to use and you might consider trying to get your data into something like ms word which has a free label generating section that works pretty well on almost any label type.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't believe "conversion" is applicable. I installed the new program as a standalone piece of software. The database file that I formerly worked with cannot be opened by anything I have found, including the new version. For this reason, I am just starting over with a blank slate, enterIng data anew by setting up the data table with the fields that I want and then filling them in. The result is that I don't see any fields showing up on the labels themselves on the screen. So I suppose how can I expect the printer to print anything if the screen's labels don't display anything? Again, no conversion, csv or otherwise, because no accessible source file to operate on.
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.
My mistake I though that you had managed to convert the old data.
This may be something pretty silly.
the skip labels part is to not print on the top part of a page where the labels were already used so if you don't set that too zero it is going to print blank labels and the real labels may be further down and off the page.
or you may have some blank entries in your data base for some reason or you accidentally filtered out the records. or maybe put the data in one file and its defaulting to using another.
I think what might be best is you would allow me to remote in and look at the program with you. Please let me know if you would be interested in doing that.