IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

My computer this evening is showing a blue screen with pop

Customer Question

My computer this evening is showing a blue screen with pop up window that says: Debug malware error 895-system 32.exe failure".
What is this? I called the phone number and was some lady in India. I was afraid to let her into my computer system so I told her I did not trust the ph number. I hung up the phone. It will be 1 1/2 days till I can get a computer repair company to help me. Is this dangerous to wait???
Category: Software
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

Does the window say to call 1-***-***-**** or similar number?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for confirming!

The window you see is something like a virus. Your web browser contains infected component that displays such warning screen. It is not dangerous, but it may prevent you from opening certain, if not all, web pages.

The owners of the number you see are scammers who, if you call them, will ask you to access your computer remotely to "fix" the problem. All they do is to manually remove the warning screen which they designed in the first place, and for that "service", they will charge you a great deal of money - usually something about $200. They can then put another similar virus which can cause the same problem in the near future, just so that you can call them again (and pay again!). They could also steal your personal documents and what not.

So, you did a good move by hanging up on them. If they call you back, you can tell them that you now know who they really are, and if they call again, you will report them to the police.

As far as removing that virus (warning window) goes, there are several ways. I will provide the instructions for you to follow:

1. First, click on this link below to download a free program called AdwCleaner

http://tinyurl.com/lk49358

You can use to remove the infected browser component which will remove the warning screen you see. In case it doesn't allow you to download the file on the infected computer, you will need to use another web browser or another computer where you can download the file and run it on the infected computer. If using another computer, you need to transfer it to the infected computer. You can do that using a removable flash or hard disk drive, or any other way.

3. Once downloaded, start the program. Make sure to exit all running programs first, especially all web browser windows. Once the program has been started, click Scan. Wait until the scan has finished and then click Cleaning to remove all found infected and unwanted files. This program is safe to use because it only scans for programs and components included on its list so it won't remove any personal data or programs that you actually use.

4. Once that is done, it will require you to restart the computer, so do it. After the restart, all browser add-ons and modified settings should be gone, including that bogus window warning.

Let me know if this helped.

If you require further assistance, let me know.

Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will need help to follow your instructions. Do I "X" out the pop up window so I can enter the web address you posted that will guide me through the removal of the blue screen?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you can exit it and then click on the link I provided to download AdwCleaner.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am conversing with you on my cell phone. So I cannot just click on the website. Please help me . I am paying for this help and I need to resolve this computer problem.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to use the web browser on your computer? If so, please go to the link I provided:

http://tinyurl.com/lk49358

Can you do that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I did but all it gives me are ads related to "tinyurl". There is no written help. Only a Lot of websites listed.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
You need to type the link in the address bar of your web browser, not in the Google or any other search box.

The address bar is located at the top of your web browser. Type the link there and press Enter. It should then ask you to open or save a file named AdwCleaner, so click Open to start it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have entered the web address a second time up top of computer in the address bar. I am getting the same list of ad sites. There is no "AdwCleaner". Your company is not helping me. I am paying for help. Please help.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
I am trying to help, but you will need to do as I say. Otherwise, it won't work.

Let me know which web browser you use on your computer. It could be:
- Internet Explorer
- Mozilla Firefox
- Google Chrome
- Opera
- Safari
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Internet explorer
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
See this picture below - it shows where you need to type the link.

graphic

All the letters in the link are in small-case.

Once you have typed it there, press Enter and wait. A new window will appear at the bottom of the Internet Explorer window, looking like this:

graphic

There click on Run once or twice to start the program, and wait.

Once the program has been started, it will look like this:

graphic

Let me know if you started the program.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
How is it going?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hi again!

Do you still require assistance with this issue?

Let me know,
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hi!

Were you able to read my messages sent to you?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Please write your reply here. Thanks!