Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Computers, Mobile devices and Networks
32989067

I purchased Adobe Photoshop many years ago and have upgraded

Customer Question

I purchased Adobe Photoshop many years ago and have upgraded a few times. My computer crashed last week and I lost everything. I cannot get Photoshop back either from a download a a cd. What can I do to obtain my Photoshop CS5 again?
Category: Software
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
What happens when you try to install Photoshop from the disk? What error do you receive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My new iMac does not have a cd drive so I have to do it on line. I tried moving it from my husbands computer on a flash drive but it says the licensing does not work.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, you cannot move it, it has to be installed.
Is your husbands computer a mac?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, what we will do is share the drive of your husbands disk player so you can access it from this new computer and do the installation
To do this
On your husbands Mac, choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
Click the Sharing icon in the System Preferences window.
Make sure you've entered a name that you can easily recognize in the Computer Name field.
Enable the checkbox for DVD or CD Sharing.
On your Mac open a Finder window.
Select Remote Disc in the Devices section of the sidebar. You should see the computer that has DVD or CD Sharing enabled.
Double-click the computer's icon, then click Connect to see the contents of the CD or DVD available from that computer.
Then you can install Photoshop from it
If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen and then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I followed you instructions and got to the DVD but it did not install on my computer and now I can't eject the disc from the other iMac.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
What was the error you got when it failed to install?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says "resolving alias to ..."
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
When exactly does it say this?
How far did you get with my instructions?
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it be possible to resume this in about 3 hours when my husband gets home? I would rather have him involved in this too.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, else I can just do this for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I just email you in about 3 hours?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok... I am not sure if I am online then, but yes you can email then...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I followed your steps and the software would not install. I appears to be trying to make an alias and cannot do it. I think it is a licensing problem. Photoshop is on my computer but says the licensing has stopped working.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
sorry I am not clear on what actually happened when you did my instructions, only it did not work.
Can you give me detail on what actually happened.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got to the point of seeing the disc but when I went to install it, or move it on to my computer is said "resolving alias to..." and that was all.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, put another disk in, any kind, and see if you can access that
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put in another Photoshop disc -- CS3. It appeared on my computer but when I went to install it, it says "Setup encountered an error and cannot continue. Contact Adobe Customer Support for assistance."
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, then its stopping you from installing it this way.
You then over have to options.
Either you will have to get an external DVD drive that plugs into the macbook. One such as this, and install it this way
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD564LL/A/apple-usb-superdrive
Or download and purchase the latest version of photoshop which is a download and not a disk, which you get here
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop.html
But it will have to be one of these options.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I guess you are not going to be able to do me any good. I'm not going to buy an external DVD drive only to find that I cannot install any of these discs I have -- 4.0, 5.5, 6.0, CS3 and CS5, all of which I have spent a lot of money on already.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You can install the disks, your just going to need to use an external disk drive.
Else you would need to download the latest version.