Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

I need help downgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 7. I

Customer Question

I need help downgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 7. I downloaded Windows 7 from windowsdelivery.com but can not successfully install.
Category: Software
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your PC. I will try my best to help you.
Sir could you please explain the issue you are facing while trying to install windows 7?
Is there any error message when you try to downgrade to windows 7?
Is this windows 7 disc sealed in original pack ?
Sincerely,
Note: - To get my reply quickly refresh this page or you can check your email which also shows a notification email. To reply back to me type in the box below and click on reply
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows 7 was downloaded with an official product key.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would you like to use team viewer to take a look?
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for getting back to me.Could you please answer my other 2 questions too.What sort of installation issue does it show?does it show before the installation starts or during the process?Sincerely,John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
During the process.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the update.If its showing during the installation process i wont be able to do remote access using team-viewer so could you please explain the installation issue or the error message it shows?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used the recommended ISO tool to create a virtual drive. I then double click to initiate, I see the windows 7 install window pop up and select install. Then a couple of minutes later a pop window appears,"Windows could not update files. To install Windows close Setup and Restart the installation. Error code: 0x0
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the details.I am bit confused are you trying to install windows 7 on a virtual machine?Which anti-virus is installed in the PC?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its a new computer and the Anti Virus has not been set up yet. I used the ISO tool to create a virtual drive which acts like installing CD.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Activation guidesImportant!In some rare cases due to activation process restrictions applied by Microsoft to certain hardware configurations the phone activation process might be necessary. If you receive an error message saying that this product key cannot be used with your configuration please proceed with the automated telephone activation procedure as per instructions below:
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your DownloadsPlease use the links below to download an ISO file for either 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit versions of Windows Operating System. If you are unsure what version of Windows is better for your setup please take a look at this article.Important! If you can't find the file you've downloaded, you can either look into your browser's settings and see where all the downloaded files are saved into. Or just perform a Windows search for a file by its name.In order to achieve a Multilingual setup please install an English version first and than add the Multilingual Interface Pack provided here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Microsoft Windows Installation GuidesNow you need to download ISO file (ISO file combines all the Windows installation files into a single uncompressed file) and then create an installation DVD or USB flash drive.Below you may find Installation guides for products you purchased.Important!Please install Windows from our ISO file that you may find below on this page in Your Downloads section. Any other Windows installations (e.g. from Windows media disc bought in a shop) may not work with these license codes as media discs from your shop may have some restrictions (region, language, type of hardware etc).
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
OH OK i got it now, Thank you for clarifying it.virtual disc's wont work well for operating system installation so i suggest you the following.First create a windows 7 install disc. Seconds do a clean windows 7 installation using that disc.If you want i can remote access to your pc and create the windows 7 installation disc for you and give you the instructions how to do a clean install.please let me know.Sincerely,John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, please
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Please click on this link http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=e19fec30-cdab-49f5-b144-8769424d8bd3 that will open remote desktop session page in that page click on I Agree, then you will get Elisnore Screen Connect Client download and run it.if it asks for User Account Control click on Yes that will allow me to connect once I am connected to your PC I will post a message using the remote chat screen. If you have any trouble connecting please let me know. Do not close this Chat/Q&A page.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Hello sir.will give you the instructions page in here.please click on this http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install-windows-7-a.html
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
I have restart the PC so that you can start the installation process.please follow my instructions to boot from the USB drive and let me knowSincerely,John
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Sir were you able to boot from the usb drive and initialize the process?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seems to have an issue.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Sir were you able boot from the usb drive and get the intial installation screen?when did this error screen showed up ?is it after the first restart of the installation process after expanding,installing features etc screen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not able to boot from USB
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Remove the USB drive and see if you can boot to windows 8 normally?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am back on my windows 8 laptop
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I remove usb. the same screen comes up
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
I am confused you said you are back in windows 8 now you are saying you get the same error screen even if the usb is removed
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
did you get my previous reply ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I removed USB, restart and same screen appears. I can select 8.1 and windows starts normal. I am restoring Windows now. I did get some support from the vendor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could you please send us a screen shot of the error message you are getting?As downgrading is basically a quite complicated process we generally recommend to perform a full installation.I can recommend you two options to keep your files and data:You can make a backup of your data, format the disk, make new installation of Windows 7 and then restore data from your backup. The best way to do this transfer is using Windows Easy Transfer tool. You may find more info here  - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-easy-transferAnother way that I think is also good for you is creating a new logical partition of your hard drive and install new Windows there. After installation is over you may delete old Windows. Here you may find more info about multiboot installation - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/install-multiple-operating-system-multiboot#1TC=windows-7Please write back how you have succeeded!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not tried yet. Maybe you can help
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
I am checking it one moment please
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay in replying back to you.That instruction is best for transferring and upgrading that wont be much help in your case.The installation process mentioned in the link he gave is same as what i gave before the problem we had when you tried to install from the USB drive was that it doesn't seem to have windows file it needed to boot.It is best you get a blank DVD and create bootable windows 7 disc using the windows 7 iso you have.Then you can do the installation like in the instruction page or If you want we can try once again making a bootable USB drive using another tool.Sincerely,John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
I didn't get you sir.OK to get a blank DVD make a windows 7 installation disc or you want to try making bootable usb again using another tool?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He mentioned formatting the hard drive. Would that be the best option?
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Yes the purpose of clean installation is formatting all the drives except your recovery partition.In that link i gave it shows Formatting drives and then install windows 7 on the formatted drive.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
I will explain the formatting process.here is the web link again http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install-windows-7-a.htmlIn step 6 you need to select custom (advanced) installation that showed in the web link.Then in step 7 you can see drive option (advanced) click on it then it will show the drive options like format,delete etc Select the partitions except the recovery partition to format then click on format option below that will format it.Now to install windows 7 select the formatted drive and click on next that will start the installation process on the formatted hard drive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I had to go out of town. What the first step should be?
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Hello again sir.Did you make windows 7 installation disc using the iso file?
Sincerely,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We did that last time using the usb. Should we do it again?
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
That didn't work well so i suggested you to get a blank DVD so that we can make a windows 7 installation disc and use that to downgrade.
Sincerely,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. I bought a DVD. CAN YOU HELP
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Do you have the windows 7 ISO file saved in your PC?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you log in?
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Please click on this link http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=1e9ab5ac-54c6-4487-8706-65da198dad28# that will open remote desktop session page in that page click on I Agree, then you will get Elisnore Screen Connect Client download and run it.if it asks for User Account Control click on Yes that will allow me to connect once I am connected to your PC I will post a message using the remote chat screen. If you have any trouble connecting please let me know. Do not close this Chat/Q&A page.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fyi...
I'm available on my mobile device
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
That is good.will enter the instructions in the PC then continue using mobile
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Did you restart and start the booting process?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, and this came up
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
I see try once again also are you using a external DVD/CD drive ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it's internal
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Do you get boot device list when pressing F12 when it shows the HP screen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, went to this screen
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
That is strange.Restart and press F10 key repeatedly when you see the HP screen,see if that open BIOS set up and let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that screen shot that helped a lot.Disable the secure boot then save the settings in bios then exit and try to boot from the Disc and let me know
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Sir what is the status now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
F12... network boot (screen)
then checking media (screen)
Then Windows 8.1 loads
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Please open BIOS and please send me a image of it again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
K
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This screen comes up when I tap escape during boot up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can get here but not through the method you described
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Go to bios menu again then enable legacy support then save and exit from bios.restart the PC and press F9 key repeatedly when you see the HP screen then select DVD drive and rest is same as before.please try it and let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same error
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay,Thank you for the image.1.Is there any external usb devices connected? For example- External hard drive,Flash drive etc2.Are you able to boot to windows 8 now?3.Can you once again go to BIOS settings screen using F10 key and take a picture so that i can check whether the changes we made are saved.Sincerely,John