IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

I put 42GB of Lightroom in an external drive so now none of

Customer Question

I put 42GB of Lightroom in an external drive so now none of those photos are in LR! I've lost 14,000 photos! I did this because my start-up disk was almost full. HELP!
Category: Software
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

It could be that only the location of the original photos has been changed so Lightroom cannot display them properly. It is usually due to the drive letter change of the external hard disk drive.
You should be able to re-import the photos back to Lightroom. To do that, start Lightroom and click on File (located in the upper left corner) and select "Import Photos and Videos...". There you will be able to select the source (location) of photos in order to import them.
Let me know if that worked for you.
Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had to take off 50GB because a message said my start-up disk was almost full. I tried going back to old back-ups time and again and ended up with 62,765 photos! But none of them seem to be on LR even though the message said my start-up disk was full. On LR, none of my photos are there. My last intern handled this stuff. I'll try what you said but I'm pretty clueless.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What's the source?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
When you start Lightroom, it loads a catalog containing the photos. The original photos were on your startup disk and since they have been moved to an external disk, Lightroom cannot display them any more and marks them as unavailable.
For that reason, you will need to re-import and the photos will be back in Lightroom.
The source is the external hard disk drive that contains the photos.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now it says I have 185,000 photos!!!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO! It says 18,586 photos.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I just click import on the bottom right?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Lightroom scanned your external hard disk drive and showed you all the photos available there. You can choose which photos to import and which not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to import all the photos I lost. How do I minimize the LR screen? I can't see this screen and LR at the same time.LR was just scanning for duplicates. There are many!!!! And also many photos that are not mine + many photos that are not highlighted. How do I select what I want? It used to say don't import duplicatates.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
If you know the folder name on the external hard disk drive containing moved (lost) photos, you can click on the "Import" button located in the bottom left corner and select that folder under the Source (Files) located in the upper right corner.
So, locate the folder there and then click on the "Import" button located in the bottom right corner.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
"All photographs" keeps on--now 26,468! Screen says "No photos match this filter."
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can only see a little tiny narrow screen on LR! How do I get the whole screen???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't import on the left without seeing the screen!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And yes I know the folder but I have to see it to import it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a screen to click import on the bottom left.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Use the standard minimize / maximize buttons located in the upper right corner of the Lightroom window.
If that doesn't work, click on the edge of the Lightroom window (bottom right corner) and expand the window to make it bigger (full screen).
You should then see all the options.
In order to do the import, you need to click on the Library (located at the top of the Lightroom window).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I have the whole screen and Library. But as soon as I click on Import photos + videos, I get this tiny screen again + can't do anything!
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Try to expand it by clicking on the edge of that window in bottom right corner, holding the mouse cursor and moving it to the bottom.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tiny screen says "Select source" (arrow) to "Add" (arrow) to "My Catalolog"How do I get out of the little screen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doesn't do anything.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Would you like me to remotely connect to your computer and check the issue for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much will it cost?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
See this Additional Service offer I will now send you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to do this again??? I put in all my Amex info!
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
You need to accept the Additional Services offer to allow remote desktop support.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm getting an error message!Is this a legit site?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
It is.
Click on the "About us" link to learn more about JustAnswer if you aren't familiar with us.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't stand anymore.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
I am offering you remote desktop support so that I can see the problem myself, since you don't seem to be able to follow my written instructions.
Your choice is to accept or refuse the offer. If refused, we can continue without remote desktop support.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I have the full screen and on the upper left, it says From Drive
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can we talk? I can't stand this!!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I'll accept the $15. Do I have to go somewhere else?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
If you see 2 drives in the upper left corner of the "Import" window, such as this:
> Macintosh HD
> External Drive
or something similar to that, you need to select the external drive (click on the arrow icon near its name) to expand the folders stored in that drive. Once you see all the folders, select only the folder containing the moved photos (the ones you want to import). After that, click on the Import button located in the bottom right corner and the photos will be imported to Lightroom.
If you are still unable to do that, please click on the following link to open a video describing how to import photos to Lightroom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OmfMzYjujE
You can watch the whole video, or you can skip it to 11:35 to see how to import photos from a specific folder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I know which drive is which?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would pay $15 if I could!!
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Main drive is usually called "Macintosh HD" and below it is the external drive. You need to select that one and expand it to see all the folders.
Watch the video I suggested.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Drive just says Drive on LR
No way can I watch videos!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Main drive where???? Ridiculous. I don't speak this language
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Yes, there is the main drive that is internal hard disk drive (built-in the computer) and the external drive that you can connect with a cable.
Watch the video please. You will see where to click to do the import.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hi again!
I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. If you do, let me know.
If you don't require further assistance, please take a moment to rate my help to you using the rating box located in the upper right corner of the page (box with stars).
Thanks,