Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, IT Expert
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP. Software Integration and Deployment Expert
23511658

Using Pinnacle Studio Ultimate v17.6. Trying to burn DVD-R

Customer Question

Using Pinnacle Studio Ultimate v17.6. Trying to burn DVD-R disc and after all of the rendering and compiling, I get an unknown error about Writing Lead-out data and disc ejects with nothing on it. Been trying everything but to no avail. This is a large project so I am using the "Fit to Dick" Preset. I've even tried cutting the project down so it fit on 4.7GB disc, but getting same error. HELP! This is a time sensitive project due this week?
Category: Software
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question. Assuming that you have everything patched to the latest revision levels, there is something you can try that can work around this problem. What I would suggest is burning the disc to an image first and then burning the image as a separate step. To begin, click "Create Image" in the Exporter. If this process completes, it is a burn problem and not a render problem. Once the disc image is created, in a second step select "Burn Image" in the Exporter. Studio will prompt you to browse to the disc image folder that you already created and begin to burn.That should work around a number of causes for this error. But if you still have problems, please let me know and I'll help you work through. Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Michael. But I found that exact tip yesterday in a user forum yesterday and tried it. I was able to create the image, but still cannot burn the disc. Same "unknown error in writing lead out data" whatever that means. And I do have the latest patch and am running v17.6. I was able to burn a different smaller project once. But I added to that same project, still under 4.7 GB when I used the "Fit to Disc" option, and got same unkown error. Frustrating.
Sorry, I did not see anything about that in what you had already tried. But it's good that you are able to do this because you are halfway through the process.
Since it's just a burning problem and not a problem with creating the disc image, it could be caused by any other burning software you have on your computer. In particular, Roxio is known to cause the issue. What you can do is workaround is burned that image using some other DVD burning software. You can use something very simple like DVD decryptor – just search for that annual find the install – and then just select the disk image as the source.
If you are right at the capacity of the DVD, it's important to note that the capacity of different DVDs is slightly different and trying to utilize every bit of the DVD is usually an unreliable process. In fact, to fit onto a 4.7 GB DVD requires that the data, as the computer sees it, be under 4.38 GB.