Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Computers, Mobile devices and Networks
32989067

I need to recover seemingly lost documents (recent).

Customer Question

Hi. I need to recover seemingly lost documents (recent). One actually shows up in my recent documents but there is a file permission error or something, and on top of that I cannot find the document on any of my USBs. The other are two or three downloads that I mistakenly deleted but somehow they bypassed the recycle bin, as there was older material in the bin and I did not empty the thrash. The downloads were deleted last Friday, the doc.x document could have been deleted or corrupted as recently as yesterday. I need to get these documents back rather quickly. Thank you very much.
Category: Software
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Is this on a windows or Mac computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Window XP

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you
what you will need to do is attempt to recover the documents if they are still recoverable on the computer. But first as this was caused by hard disk corruption, we want to rule this out first.
So as the first step, click start, Run, type in
CMD
Press enter
Type in
chkdsk /f
Press enter
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Then once it has restarted, corruption will be resolved and we will then attempt to recover the files if they are still available.
To do this, use the program Recuva which you can get from my link below
http://www.filehippo.com/download_recuva
Click on download latest version in the top right and install and run it (it is free).
If the files can be recovered it will find them and give you the option to recover the files.
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen or smiley faces, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you